Laughing angrily, Old Madam asked, "Should we call Si Yu along? Since it's a serious matter, might as well call the whole family over to hear about it."

"It's not a bad idea." Lin Shi originally was somewhat guilt-ridden, but when she thought of those ledgers that had been tunneled with big deficits one after another, hence she became unyielding for once.

Old Madam beckoned Wan Qiu to summon the person, then twirled the rosary with her eyes closed.

Standing by the door, Ma Momo looked at the mother and daughter with a kind of pitying and mocking gaze, then immediately bowed her head to reduce her presence. Even the Marquis was called over, this was not the way to court death. Having lived a life of seclusion for fourteen years, she had inversely idle away all her shrewdness and ability, leaving only a head full of paste.

The hall was so quiet that even a dropping needle could be heard while the faint and exquisite scent of incense lingered in the air, which ought to be gladdening the heart and refreshing the mind, yet it roused a little sense of repressiveness for no reason. Yu Miao Qi kneaded her chest as a subtle yet an inescapable feeling of apprehension arose in her heart.

She had clearly decided to take her time to gain a firm foothold in the Marquis manor yet she had come to snatch the control of the family's head the very next day and confronted Yu Xiang, would this be too big a move and will this conduct be too unsightly in others' eyes?

She felt stunned when she realized she had been blinded by jealousy and moved the wrong chess piece. She should have slowed a little, at least after she had won over Old Madam and Yu Pin Yan. However, having come this way, it was only possible to carry this error through the end as Yu Xiang's demerit was even greater, that once Old Madam and Yu Pin Yan about knew it, there would be no reason for them to condone it.

She could put her hand into Lin Shi's dowry, hence she must have also inevitably embezzled a lot from the household account. If this came to her mind a little earlier, they would have finished looking through all the household's account books and brought them over too.

Yu Miao Qi's rosy face gradually began to turn pale the more she mulled over the errors and omissions that she couldn't help but pinch the purse on her waist.

The scrunching sound caused Old Madam to open her eyes to look over with her eyebrows twitched, "You're finally wearing the protective charm?"

"I naturally should carry it with me as it's something that Grandmother gave me. I was somewhat reluctant before, thinking that if it's worn out, would Grandmother entreat another new one for me? Granddaughter wouldn't dare nor forget Grandmother's sincere loving heart."

These words were so sweet that they could simply drip honey. Old Madam's face, however, was not pleasing at all, she merely looked at her steadily with a kind of gloomy depressing gaze which was perceivably terrifying.

Seemingly kind of shocked, Yu Miao Qi bowed her head as her heart suddenly palpitated thunderously. She vaguely realized that she might have said the wrong thing, yet she was clueless as she pondered over it. Could Old Madam have already known that the protective charm had been burned, hence she probed me several times?

This thought caused her breathing to stop when it emerged suddenly. If that's the case, it's going to be extremely difficult to win Old Madam over in the future! She is afraid she's already an artificially hypocritical role in her eyes! Wrong, wrong, wrong, how is every step wrong? Is this a wrong move again?

After weighing several thoughts, Yu Miao Qi seemed to sit on a nail board, wishing she could hover away.

Just at this moment, Yu Xiang was pushed over the threshold by two maidservants, who nodded their heads greeting each and everyone present.