Hearing this, Yu Pin Yan's disordered heartbeat gradually returned to normal. He felt somewhat funny yet distressed. He tapped on the tip of her nose and said, "That is if you can kill them with this face alone."

"Not only would they die, even I would die of my beauty when I look at myself in the mirror." Yu Xiang turned her face in the mirror.

Yu Pin Yan put down his tea cup, chuckled and pinched her cheeks. He joked, "Let Elder brother see how thick my Little Xianger's face is. I'm afraid that it can't be pierced through."

Yu Xiang shook her head around to evade, and her elder brother and her made a lot of noise.

A quarter of an hour later, Yu Xiang was lying in her elder brother's arms as she laughed and said angrily, "Stop. Stop. If we don't leave now, we can't rush to the festival. I haven't applied the rouge yet."

Yu Pin Yan let go of her soft cheeks and helped her apply the rouge. After holding her jaw and admiring it for a long time, he placed Yu Xiang down on his knees and placed her in the wheelchair.

Yu Xiang noticed that he didn't push her out of the door. Instead, he turned around and went behind the folding screen. She called out warily, "What are you doing? Grandmother is anxiously waiting."

Yu Pin Yan smiled and didn't say a word. He held a wet handkerchief in his hand and carefully wiped off the make-up she did for half a shichen (1 hour) and said with a smile, "You can die beautiful by yourself. Don't harm others." There were so many people at the festival that he didn't want his baby sister to be seen by any strange man.

"At least let me stick a huadian[5]." Yu Xiang desperately struggled.

Yu Pin Yan rummaged through her trousseau to find the most simple and a mole-like flower forehead ornament. He stuck it between her eyebrows and urged. "Done. Let's go."

"Can it be changed into the lotus shaped one? This is not very eye-catching." Yu Xiang tugged on his sleeves.

Yu Pin Yan didn't respond. He bent down to peel off the cinnabar mole ornament in between her eyebrows. Yu Xiang quickly plunged into his arms and hid her face, shouting, "Done, done. Elder brother, let's go."

Yu Pin Yan put his arm around her shoulder and gave a long and soft chuckle.

  ------------------------

[1] 状元(zhuàngyuán)- Zhuangyuan/top scholar/principal graduate. An advanced scholar (进士[jìnshì], a graduate who passed the triennial court exam) who ranked first overall nationwide.

[2] 探花(tànhuā)- Flower snatcher/third place candidate/tanhua. An advanced scholar (进士[jìnshì], a graduate who passed the triennial court exam) who ranked third overall nationwide.

[3] 榜眼(bǎngyǎn)- Bangyan/eye positioned alongside/second place candidate. An advanced scholar (进士[jìnshì], a graduate who passed the triennial court exam) who ranked second overall nationwide.

[4] 侍读学士(shì dú xuéshì)- Academician Reader-in-waiting. Academicians that were entrusted with the task of helping the emperor read or write documents.

[5] 花钿(huā diàn)- Huadian/flower forehead ornament; a kind of floral decoration on women's faces in ancient times. Huatian has three colors of red, green and yellow. It is made of gold and silver in flower shape. It is a popular jewelry in Tang Dynasty.

Although the Old Madam believed in Buddhism, the annual festival was a good time to walk around with her old friends. Naturally, she would not miss this. Presently, she was dressed properly and was sitting in the hall drinking tea. When she saw her barefaced and listless granddaughter, she asked with a smile, "Oh, did your elder brother wipe off your makeup again?"