"You are back." Hearing the sound of the turning of the wheelchair, the Old Madam stopped chanting sutras and turned her head to look.

"I'm back. Did my Elder brother send a letter today?" Yu Xiang asked.

"No." The Old Madam shook her head and sighed.

Yu Xiang's expectant expression immediately fell. She let Tao Hong and Liu Lu carry her to the futon. Then, she knelt and took out a rusty ancient coin from her purse as she placed it between her palms and started to recite the sutras.

"Why are you holding that piece of copper coin?" The Old Madam gave her a strange look.

"Ancient money can drive away evil spirits, avoid disasters and promise peace. I hold onto it as I recite the Nirvana Sutra every 7 days, 7 times for 49 days and then let my brother bring it to the North West. Miracle Doctor Pu had sent me all these panacea. I have also let Elder brother bring all of them along." Yu Xiang explained softly.

The Old Madam was delighted and took out her five-blessing[3] bag and passed it to her, "After reciting the Sutra, you can put the copper money in it to keep it safe. Afterwards, have someone bring it to him when they send the panacea. We can't really help much so let's keep praying for him."

Yu Xiang nodded her head solemnly.

Yu Pin Yan left suddenly and he hadn't had the time to return home since the beginning of spring. Yu Xiang and the Old Madam could only hide behind the door, weeping while listening to the sounds of the horse's hooves as the military troops left. Lin Shi didn't even see him off, let alone send letters or send items to him. It was as if she didn't have this son.

The Old Madam was already sad. When she saw her being so heartless, she couldn't help but get angry. The Old Madam went to her courtyard personally and burnt all the belongings left by her late son. If she wouldn't come to her senses, maybe even her son's tablet should be burnt.

Lin Shi knelt at the gate of the Main courtyard and cried all night. Yu Xiang wore a thick coat as she watched for half the night. In the remaining half of the night, she had many dreams, in which all had Yu Pin Yan.

  --------------------

[1] 昭仪(zhāoyí)- Lady of Bright Deportment. An imperial consort title.

[2] 晋封名单(jìn fēng míngdān) - List of Imperial Harem Conferral. It is a list of imperial concubines that would be promoted/conferred.

[3] 五福(wǔ fú)- Five blessing is a concept signifying a grouping of certain good fortunes and luck in Chinese culture. There are two interpretations of five blessings. Firstly, according to the definition in Book of Documents, it is defined as follows:- (1) 寿(Shòu)- Health; (2) 富(fù)- Wealth; (3) 康宁(kāng Níng)-long life; (4) 攸好德(yōu hào dé)- Love of virtue; and (5)考终命(kǎo zhōng mìng)-peaceful death. Secondly, according to New Discussion, it is defined as:- (a) 寿(Shòu)- Longevity; (b) 富(fù)- Wealth; (c) 贵(guì)- prosperity in government (refers to the allotment and mandate of one's share in government position and society); (d) 安乐(ānlè)- health; and (e) 子孙众多(zǐsūn zhòngduō)- fertility.

For generations, their ancestors had died on the battlefield. Yu Pin Yan knew the cruelty of the war well, but he never thought it would be so cruel. It was completely different from those intrigues of the court . Over here, there were only blood and fire, life and death, the light reflected from the sword and the shadow of the swords. The sky and the earth were red, and even the sun was stained with the colour of blood. No, maybe it was the blood from his forehead that dripped into his eyes.

Yu Pin Yan was distracted as he was taking lives. The leader of the enemy was close. Three hundred metres away, two hundred metres away, one hundred metres away. Yu Pin Yan's eyes were filled with overwhelming murderous intent. He held up the butcher's knife in front of the enemies where they were shocked to see his sudden appearance. The blade of the knife pierced their flesh. At the same time, he seemed to hear someone shouting by his ear, "Elder brother, quickly move away!"