The coal fire crackled and burned, warming the house as if it was a spring day, but the maidservants and pozi who were brought back with them seemed to have walked into an ice cellar. One or two of them shrank their neck and shivered. Even if they were beaten to death, they would have never expected that the marquis would return today! What should they do now!

Cui Ping and Cui Xi have been crying. They looked up at the Little Marquis from time to time.

Yu Pin Yan was playing with his younger sister's fleshy little hand and poked her little dimples on the back of her hand one after another with his fingers. He was a little addicted. And the other big hand was holding the handkerchief and carefully wiping away the tears for her.

The room was soundless. The atmosphere was so cold that it was stifling. After about a quarter of an hour, Yu Pin Yan questioned, "Where did you find them? What were they doing?"

"Replying to the Marquis, these people were found in the side room of the North courtyard playing cards; these people were basking in the back garden and eating melon seeds; this person was sleeping in her room; this person was eating in the kitchen. There are still five people missing. I have sent someone to look for them." The servant reported one after another.

"Don't bother about the five people." Yu Pin Yan waved his hand. His gaze was as sharp as a knife.

All of them were shivering. They felt that cold air had penetrated their scalp, and their spirits were cracked apart from the cold. They want to cry loudly for mercy, kowtow and cry, turn around and run away but their bodies seem to have been filled with lead. Their throat seemed to have swallowed coals. They couldn't move a little, let alone make a sound. They still remember that the members of the third family wanted to hang themselves at the door of the Marquis's manor. The Marquis had the same gaze, which made the third family didn't dare to seek death.

Now, they were in the hands of the Marquis, can they still live? Oh right, the young lady was soft-natured, they can beg the young lady!

Many people looked up at Yu Xiang. Their eyes were full of hope.

Yu Xiang buried her face in her brother's bosom.

[1] 风雨欲来[fēngyǔyùlái]- storm clouds approaching/troubles lying ahead

[2] 奴婢[núbì]- I; your humble servant (term of self-address used by servants, maid-servants and enuchs when addressing the emperor, minister, concubines, etc.)

UNEDITED

"Look at them!" Yu Pin Yan wouldn't let her do so. He grabbed her chin, turned her face to him and said sternly, "Look at them, don't look away. Take this." He took out the whip from his waist and thrust it into his sister's hand.

Yu Xiang was somewhat confused. What did he give her a whip for?

"Hit them." His flat tone was filled with animosity.

Yu Xiang was dumbfounded. Is it alright to let a ten-year-old girl learn to whip people with a whip? Shouldn't you settle this? Shouldn't they be rewarded with the beatings by the plank and be driven out? By doing this, wouldn't it be teaching her in the wrong manner?

Yu Xiang's excited hands were shaking, and she quickly hid the eyelids to cover her sparkling eyes.

Yu Pin Yan thought that she was afraid. He held her hand with a whip, and his lips were close to her ears. He reiterated one word after another, "Hit - them! If anyone disrespects you in the future, use the whip and whip them! Whoever has the whip mark on their body, immediately hit them 50 times by the plank and sell them! Although you have broken your leg, you are not a useless person. You are my Yu Pin Yan's younger sister, so you should be proud, willful and live with your head and chest up! Do you understand? Raise your hand and hit them!"