In fact, the novel was bought by her nanny, who thought it was a little white novel that would help Yu Xiang loosened up and relaxed due to its simple storyline. Yu Xiang had read the prologue and the first two chapters. She noticed not only does she have the same name as the female supporting character, but that she was also similarly bedridden. Annoyed, she had simply dumped the novel beside her pillow. Before she had the chance to throw it away, her elder brother had gotten sick, and she died.

If she had known this would happen, she would have read the whole novel before she died! Currently, all that she knew was that 'Yu Xiang' had been an ill-fated child. Her tragic lifetime had begun three days earlier, and she had transmigrated just a little bit too late to save herself!

Three days ago, 'Yu Xiang' wet nurse passed away. At her deathbed, she revealed the truth about the children being switched at birth to 'Yu Xiang's' mother, Lin Shi. Lin Shi was amorously in love with her husband and had been unable to accept the reality of his death. She became thoroughly disinterested in all of her duties, neglecting her daily routines, children and elders. Instead, she just spent her days locking herself in her courtyard, hugging her husband's memorial tablet tightly to her chest and subsisting by reminiscing sweet memories. She blamed the death of her husband on 'Yu Xiang', proclaiming that 'Yu Xiang' was a jinx that bane of others' existence who brought nothing but death to their kin and she should have strangled her to death when she was born. If not, this calamity would not have befallen her husband.

Even in the beginning, Lin Shi had hated 'Yu Xiang'. After learning the truth, her hatred only intensified, and she instructed her son, Yu Pin Yan, to send 'Yu Xiang' to the faraway countryside to keep her out of sight. Had it not been for the old madam's objections, she would have banished 'Yu Xiang' from the ancestral registry.

But the worst was not over yet. When she was on the way to the countryside, they were attacked by mountain bandits. Yu Pin Yan sustained only minor injuries. Under strange circumstances, 'Yu Xiang' lost her balance and tumbled onto Yu Pin Yan's body. This caused her to receive two knife slashes on her legs, and her bones were broken immediately in his stead. She could never stand up anymore.

After paying such a high price in saving Yu Pin Yan, it would be heartless to continue sending 'Yu Xiang' to the countryside. Upon receiving the news, Old Madam promptly instructed for her return.

As soon as the tragedy began, Yu Xiang had transmigrated and thus would be suffering in 'Yu Xiang's stead. Without having read the rest of this melodramatic plot, Yu Xiang was confident she would not have any good endings once the female lead returned!

As Yu Xiang ruminated over this, she only felt that the throbbing in her temples was more painful, which compelled her to pull her own hair. Why is her life so miserable! Which deities have she offended!

While wallowing in self-pity, a maidservant in pink came in and softly spoke, "Young Miss, Elder Young Miss is here to see you."

The Yu manor was known as Marquis Yongle manor. After Marquis Yongle had passed away from a bandit attack, 'Yu Xiang's' elder brother, Yu Pin Yan, had surpassed the group of over-ambitious paternal uncles and risen to the seat of Marquis Yongle, retaining the Di's[1]position. 'Yu Xiang' was the second daughter, as there was an elder Shu[2] sister who had been borne by Lin Shi's bed climbing maidservant[3].

As Lin Shi was not fond of them, both girls formed a harmonious relationship as fellow sufferers commiserate to each other.

Of course, this was the knowledge of 'Yu Xiang', it was not Yu Xiang's. Yu Xiang didn't dared to be on intimate terms with this Shu sister after reading through the first two chapters of the novel.

As Yu Xiang was still bedridden from a serious injury, Yu Si Yu could not wait to stab 'Yu Xiang' and aggravate 'Yu Xiang' misery. Since Yu Xiang had known about the storyline, she naturally would not let that happen according to her wishes. If she responded appropriately, it would mean that her future livelihood in the Marquis Yongle manor would be comfortable. Presently, it would not help her survive regardless of the amount of shock and resentment she has. She had to face reality.