Chapter 14: Shift

Mateo

Don't promise when you're happy. Don't reply when you're angry and do not decide when you're sad.

Things with Malia have been going really well. We were in the phase of our relationship where everything was very blissful and we were enjoying our time together. As some people would call it, the honeymoon phase. I still haven't told her I'm a werewolf, not knowing how I would tell her. The thing is that normally, as an alpha, I would have the answers to everything. Not this time, not with her knowing the truth.

How would I be able to tell her I'm a werewolf, that they exist? That she was my mate, and we were always going to find each other. What would she say? How would she react? It's not something that could just come up in conversations.

"Hey, just so you know I can transform into a werewolf."

"Oh, wow, that's cool."

That's not how it'll go. The rest of the pack doesn't know she's a human as well. For most, it will not sit well with them. Once I tell her, I'll tell them.

I should do it soon.

Tell her.

I will, I just got to figure out how and when.

There's never going to be the right time. I just have to rip the band-aid off.

I think I'll tell her tonight, after our movie date.

As I drive to her house to pick her up for our date, my mind races with all the ways she would react to telling her the truth. Tonight was also the eve before a full moon, meaning my senses were hightened and I am less in control than I normally am. I always hated lying to people especially those I cared for and loved, but it's not a normal situation that I normally deal with. One thing led to the next and months went by, the truth getting put to the side and becoming something that I was "hiding." How was I supposed to bring it up? It's not like we spend time talking about the supernatural.

No Mateo you should have just told her. Pulled her to the side and tell her.

Here's how I should do it.

"Malia there's something that I have to tell you."

"What is it Teo?"

"Well, this is going to be hard to believe, but I have to get this off my chest."

"You're beginning to scare me Mateo."

"I'm a werewolf Malia."

"What?"

There was a light tap on my window. It was Malia, I didn't even realize that I had made it to her house. I turned off my car and stepped out. She gave me a warm smile and all my worries instantly faded. This is what I loved the most about her. No matter what she always seems to make me feel at ease.

That's why she'd make a great Luna.

That's why she's the Alpha's mate.