Chapter 1: Introducing Malia

Malia

Sometimes life throws you on a different path, a path you may have never even knew existed until you come across it.

I was born on June 7th, 1992 to Tyler Douglas and Amelia Douglas in San Diego, California. I have two older siblings, Sebastian, who's the eldest child, and Elizabeth. Elizabeth married her high school sweetheart seven years ago, while Sebastian is someone who's against marriage. He's been in relationships, but there's never been a woman who can make him get married. Our parents had a loving relationship, and they were great with one another before they passed away in a car accident. Sebastian and I have a close relationship. He was the person who would always have my back and who would defend me with our parents and punishments. Elizabeth and I were also close, but Sebastian and I were closer. For me, I was always a tomboy and I still am, although I dress up whenever necessary. I am an athletic woman, but I prefer to play soccer rather than going to the gym. I also love food, which is something Elizabeth would always complain about that I would eat and not get fat, while if she ate something unhealthy she'd gain weight.

Although loving our bodies the way they are is something we live by, but some days it's harder than others. For women, we have it harder than men, although some men also go through their own insecurities that's what makes us human. There are many factors that affect us and the way we view ourselves, and there are many psychological, physical, and emotional disorders. Apart from that, many women have been pitted against each other especially in Hollywood which is awful and we live in a 'man's world' unfortunately.

I've had a few relationships over the years, but I always felt like there was something missing in them and I could never tell what it was. I currently live in Los Angeles, California with my childhood best friend, James Scott. James and I have been best friends since we were three. Many people thought that he and I would start dating, but that was never the case we were like siblings. We were always proof that men and women can be best friends and never have romantic feelings towards one another. We live in the same city, but in two separate houses that are thirty minutes apart from one another, so we can have our own privacy.

I own a public relations company called Cobra Relations, which being here in Los Angeles is the reason my company is doing so well. Lots of celebrities and other well-known people need PR agents. I have always been a person who loves to help others and help them get out of unpleasant situations, so this work area helps me do that. I am not one to be in the center of attention, so I avoid sizeable crowds. Although I don't care about what others have to say when they are being judgemental, I just don't enjoy having all eyes on me. I have always been an independent woman. I never liked the concept of being 'a damsel in distress' leading me to learn how to be two steps ahead. Some people find that annoying about me, while others thought it made me clever and stronger.

Currently, I was sitting in my office at work, going through my emails. My phone buzzed on the table next to me. It was a text message from my brother.

Seb: I'm coming to Los Angeles today, I have a work meeting in two days.

Me: Yay! I can't wait to see you. I've missed you.

Seb: I've missed you too. We're going out tonight.

Me: Oh, is that right?

Seb: Yes, I need to get some stress release

Me: Jesus! Sebastian Drew Douglas, I do not need to know that, asshole.

Seb: I meant dancing.

Me: I know you, Sebastian, and I know exactly what you mean.

Seb: I love you.

Me: I don't.

Seb: I know you do, so I will not bother.

Me: Asshole.

Seb: See you soon Mal.

With that, I placed my phone back on the table and continued to go through my emails. As the day went on, I had a couple of meetings with old clients and a few new ones. Later in the day, I met up with James and we had lunch at Nobu. After that, I finished up the rest of the workday solving a few PR problems.

Once I made it home, I plugged in my phone on the charger in my room. I stripped off my clothes and headed into the shower in order to get ready for the night out with my brother. After stepping out of the shower, wrapping the towel around my body, I headed into my room and checked my phone. There was a message from my brother telling me he made it safely from New York and he sent me the name of the club we were going to meet up in. He also told me he invited James to join us.

I got dressed into a black long-sleeved crop top that had a plunging neckline, and I paired it with a pair of white pants. I straightened my shoulder-length auburn colored hair, placing it into a bun, knowing that when I dance I'll get sweaty and I didn't need my hair to stick on my neck. After applying a minimal amount of make-up, I wore a black choker necklace, with a gold one, and paired it with other gold necklaces that were long and reached above my belly button. For the final look, I slipped on a pair of black suede ankle boots with three-inch chunky heels that were comfortable enough to dance hours in.

Placing my phone and important things in a black clutch purse, I went downstairs, grabbed my car keys, and headed outside to my garage to my red Camaro. I sent a quick text to my brother telling him I'll be picking up James and turned on the Bluetooth of the car. Opening up the Spotify app, I put my 'Club' playlist on shuffle, clicked my seatbelt on, and drove off.