Track 9 : Side Chick

BRIA

BRIA

    Chicago mornings smelled different than Ohio's. And, for some reason, the weather wasn't as cold. The airport had a lot of traffic to be a Tuesday. I caught myself purposely stepping on the back of people's shoes to make them walk faster. It's just something about a person carelessly strolling in a time of chaos that gets under my skin.
    Before I made it to the lobby, I spotted Vinnie holding up a sign with my name on it. He was surrounded by security and wasn't phased by the attention he was getting from fans. Once he recognized me, he held the sign up higher. By the time I approached, he had a swarm of women surrounding him. Had he not had a sign, I don't think I would've been able to find him.
    Security split up the crowd and let me through. Vinnie grabbed my luggage, handed the sign to one of his security, then took my hand. We ran to his car to avoid having to drive around fans.
    "Welcome to my world." Vinnie said once we were safe in the backseat of the truck.
    To my surprise, we weren't alone. Durk and his girlfriend were sitting in the row behind us. You'd think they were on their way to a red carpet event the way they wore designer early in the morning. All I had on was a pastel pink velour tracksuit from Fashionnova, and I called myself trynna look cute for Dayvin. Well, of course my hair and make-up was up to code, but who can compete with designer?
    Royale's jacket was a brand I've never seen nor heard of before. The fabric used to make it had such a quality that it could be worn as a coat, and don't get me started on the fur.
    Durk had to be wearing every piece of jewelry he owned. There wasn't a name he missed to put around his neck. The couple's ensemble was color coordinated and strategic. Her distressed-jean thigh high boots matched his pants, while the red graphic hoodie he wore under his jacket matched her jumpsuit.
    They sat with their hands clasped to each others and Royale's head never left Durk's shoulder, not even while they greeted me. If they weren't going through so much due to the media, they'd look like the perfect couple. Even a blind man can see the love between them. #Duroyale still held its own weight to the name. It's not too many people willing to stick by your side in this world, especially not after what they've gone through in just a weeks time.
    "I hope you got an appetite." Vinnie said.
    "Boo, its your lucky day. Cause, I'm starving. I ain't ate since yesterday." I said.
    The driver pulled up to a restaurant that didn't have windows to view the inside. Judging by the valet standing out front servicing customers with nicer cars than a NASCAR race, I was under the impression we were on the rich side of Chicago. One of Vinnie's security assisted me out of the truck, then Vinnie took over as we walked to the entrance. Durk and Royale walked beside us hand and hand.
    The inside of the restaurant had a mysterious vibe. From the outside, you'd never guess how high the ceilings were, you couldn't fathom the art pieces displayed above each booth, nor could you pretend you knew what sculptures were scattered across the room within the hand crafted tables and chairs.
     The lights were dimmed, but the colors from the wall aquarium that sat in the back with the larger booths projected across the room. Until this day, I don't know what those fish were called. Although it was morning, the candles at the single couple tables gave it a late night dinner vibe. Then, in the far corner, sat a pianist playing a beautiful melody.
   "Wow, I was not dressed for this..." I said.
    "It's not about what you wearing." Vinnie said.
    Our waiter showed us to our booth. Yeah, we already had a reservation. Kudos to my boo Dayvin for going all out for our first date. It didn't even matter that it was a double date.
    "Girl, Durk made me get all dressed up like we going to a Celebrity breakfast. I thought we had another meeting with Mona, got a lil nervous." Royale said.
    "Damn, we cant do nice things?" Durk said.
    "I'm not saying that, I just think you on to something." She said. She smiled and scanned her menu. "Cause babyyyy, these prices ain't no Chicago prices."
    "Sis, I'll have whatever you having cause I might have a heart attack if I look at that menu." I said. Everyone laughed and Royale nodded in agreement.
    "Baby, get whatever you like." Vinnie said as he handed me a menu.
    After I got over the shock of a breakfast platter costing more than my rent and utilities combined, I ordered a platter that I expected to taste like heaven. Once everyone placed their order, we all admired the atmosphere.
    "Oh my goodness, these fishes are beautiful." Royale said. She rubbed her hand across the glass over a glowing blue and neon green fish.
    "You think they can hear the music?" Vinnie said.
    "I think so. Music is a vibration anyone can hear and feel. Look how calm they are. I bet they don't even eat each other." Durk said.
    "I agree, the piano is mad beautiful. Its setting the mood for everybody. It's kinda hard to be angry while listening to this." I said.
    "I don't listen to this type of music, but I will say its relaxing." Vinnie said.
    "Boo, you missing out on real music. It starts with the instruments." I said.
    "You right, but you say that like you know how to play one." Durk Said.
    "I do. Well, I learned how to play piano when I was a kid and spent a year or two in Band in middle school. I can tell you which instrument is what just by listening to a song. No matter the genre." I said.
    "Okay, lil miss musical genius." Royale said.
    "Right, I might have to bring you to the studio with me one of these days." Vinnie said. "You still know how to play?"
    "That'll be nice." I said with a smile. "I'll never forget how to play, even though it's been a while. My dad was a musician, he taught me when I was really young. I haven't played since he passed when I was 13. But, I can for you one day."
    "Wow, I'm sorry for your loss. Let me know if listening to the music triggers you in any way. We can leave right now, if you want. I should've asked more questions before reserving this place, I thought it would be perfect for you." Vinnie said. He grabbed my hand and caressed it with his thumb.
    "Thank you for your concern, but it is perfect. I trust your judgment, and you'd know if I was triggered. I could hear the music from outside, I was prepared. This reminds me so much of my dad. But, that's what I like about this. I wish his funeral felt like this." I said.
    "You and him must've been really close." Royale said with a comforting smile.
    "Yeah," I nodded. "My mom worked a lot and I didn't see much of her until he died. Most of my childhood memories are of me and my dad. He'd take me on the road with him sometimes, and let me watch his shows. My favorite times of us are the small moments. You know, the fact that he never made a promise to me that he didn't keep. Or, how he was at every band concert or school event I participated in. My memory of him is starting to get a lil fuzzy, but he loved me. We lived in poverty and didn't have much. But, I know there's not a day that he allowed me to skip a meal, even when he had to himself."
    "He sounds like a great man." Durk said.
    "He wasn't." I said as I wiped the tears that escaped my eyes. "As a kid, you think your parents are superheros. My mom, she could've been. She sacrificed her time with me to give me the leverage to do what I want with my life now. Yet, I hated her for not being there. My Dad, he drank. A lot. He didn't think I noticed because he tried his best to hide it. But, I wouldn't be a pro at dealing with hangovers if it wasn't for him... And, he hated my mom. I still don't know why. He never laid a hand on me, his aggression seemed to be fueled towards my mom for whatever reason."
    "Have you ever asked your mom about it?" Vinnie said.
    "No, for what?" I said. "Knowing what I know now about being in an abusive relationship, the answers I'm looking for died with my dad. But regardless of it all, I still miss him."
    "I feel that." Durk said.
    "Yeah, me too. More than I should." Royale said.
    "You can't help that you loved your dad. He's your dad. I still wish mine was right here with me and he's been locked up for forever. He ain't never getting out." Vinnie said. He squeezed my hand as I rubbed his back. Durk smacked his lips and stared at Vinnie.
    "Yeah, well. He chose to not be in yo life. At least her dad made her a priority." Durk said.
    "Bae!" Royale said as she nudged him. "Don't say that. He was your father too, you know."
    "That's funny coming from you, Tay-Tay. I know it was hard for his favorite child to lose him, but you're not gonna get much sympathy from me. My dad didn't choose his prison sentence, and he ain't break no promises either." Vinnie said.
    "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Durk said as his eyebrows guarded his eyes. Vinnie shook his head and scoffed, then shrugged.
    "Nothing, man." He said. I wrapped my arms around his neck and I pulled him into a hug. He let out a deep breath as he wrapped his arms around my waist. His body was tense and he squeezed hard, but I wasn't letting go. I rubbed his back until he was calm.
    "You wanna leave?" I said. He shook his head, so I continued to hold him.
    "I lost my mom not too long ago." Royale blurted. Vinnie raised up and we both focused our attention on her. "She wasn't the best mom. My auntie kinda raised me. But, I still wish I had more time with her. She was just misunderstood and I knew she loved me, and I loved her. I just couldn't let her in to be able to hurt me anymore. She was all I had most my life. If we weren't such opposites, I'd say she was my Best friend. Confusing, right?"
    "No, I get it." I said.
    "Family is complicated. we all have our problems." Vinnie said. "Best we can do is be there for each other. You never know when's the last time you'll ever see them."
    "Now, I can drink to that." Royale said as she raised her glass.
    "To dysfunctional families and childhood trauma." I said as I raised my glass.
    "And, loyalty."Vinnie said as he raised his glass. A jittery Durk snapped out of his trance and sighed.
    "And, love." He said as he raised his glass. Royale smiled and nodded. We all clanked our wine glasses and took a sip. While Royale was checking on Durk's well-being. I was concerned about why I was drinking wine before I even had breakfast.
    "Okay, is it just me? Or, has it been mad long since we ordered?" I said.
    "Yeah same, I never waited this long for food."Royale said.
After checking the time, Vinnie and Durk clapped twice in unison. Seconds later, waiters were coming out, filling our table up with fresh food and new drinks.
    "Well, if instant service was an option, I would've said something sooner." I said. Royale laughed and nodded in agreement. Vinnie joined in but he reverted to his straight face soon after. Durk was then more jittery and insisted that we all just dig in. "Oh, this is heaven. I can't believe I thought IHOP was luxury." The eggs were so fluffy and the waffles were soft as pancakes. Even their syrup tasted like its one of those secret recipes people die trying to get their hands on.
    Everyone stuffed their faces while the pianist cleared our thoughts with Canon D major. I reminisced the moments of playing piano with my dad and thought about how'd he feel about me dating a man who's also in the music industry. Actually, every boyfriend I've had has been in the industry. So, I guess that says a lot about myself.
    While I was having a moment of self-realization, the guys were fixated on Royale eating her dessert. Once she made it to the middle of her slice of red velvet cake with strawberry frosting, her fork discovered something.
    "What's this?" she said as she raked out what looked like a broken piece of metal. She gasped when she revealed a large diamond that sparkled in the light. "You didn't."
    "I did." Durk nodded. My eyes widened and Vinnie was grinning.  Royale cleaned the ring off with a napkin and shook her head in disbelief.
    "Durk, stop playing with me." she said. The pianist changed songs and was accompanied by a singer who began singing This Is Why I Love You by MAJOR. Royale's eyes filled up with tears and her hands trembled as they covered her face. A camera crew came out to film and they snapped a few pictures. I was in utter shock. I wanted to cry with her.
    "Royale," Durk said as he climbed out the booth and got down on one knee. "I know this moment is long overdue and I owe you a million more like this. But, I love you with all my heart. You been riding by my side since ramen noodle and opening act days. I appreciate all your support and the success I experience wouldn't be enjoyed without you. No matter what problems we face, I want us to come to a solution as a team. This shit is forever, and you the only woman I want representing my name. There is no Durk without Royale, and I mean that. You hear me?" Royale nodded with tears rolling down her cheeks. The couple in the booth next to us handed her some kleenex for her to dab her make-up. "Fuck all this TV shit, you know me. There is nothing and nobody that can come between us and take your place. Your place in my heart and my life is infinite. For as long as you want it. So, will you marry me?"
    I managed to let a tear of my own escape. Love is contagious when it's true. But, watching a woman having her moment of pure happiness and receiving the appreciation she deserves hits a soft spot for me. She got to dress up and feel beautiful in the morning, her man matched her energy and rewarded her with gratitude before the day even started.
    Then, the moment had it's bitter undertone. And, I saw it in Vinnie's eyes. A loyal brother who prepared the event and clearly outdid himself.  He should have still had that smug of pride on his face, maybe as emotional as I was. But, his jaw was clenched and the longer Durk talked, the less enthused he became. It was like watching myself when I'd witnessed my dad lying to my mom. Heartbreaking, to say the least.
    "Yes." Royale said with a nod and she burst into an ugly cry as Durk grabbed hold of her. They kissed and he slid the ring on her finger. Vinnie faked a smile once again for the cameramen who were getting every angle possible. It didn't take much longer for me to get the hint and play the role I was brought there to play. By the time we made it to the car, I was #Duroyale's #1 hype-man.