5. Surprised/Who

Your POV
I called Luna to meet me at my house. As if routine, I am at my bar again. This is probably my most frequented place out of the whole house. I am exhausted, but I know once my head hits the pillow, I'm wide awake.

Ding dong.

I thought she would barge in without pressing the doorbell. I let her in, and we walked to my office straightaway.

"Are you going to tell me the purpose of this mission now?" Holding the file in my hand, not letting her get it back yet.

"You know I can't tell you."

"Why? It should be filled out for every mission." I shift closer towards the desk.

"Not since you are retired."

I nodded. "I thought you trusted me."

"Who was she?"

"Who was who?" I know who Luna is referring to but since she isn't going to tell me what I want, I won't as well.

"The woman from the other day!"

"She's not the only person I brought back." Which was partially true. "Look, if you have nothing else, you're free to leave." I added as I stood up.

"You're still blaming yourself huh. Don't forget, I am your therapist."

"... You're nothing. You're just assigned to watch me." I walk over to the door and make it clear I want her out now. "You're welcome to come as a friend, just don't find me for work again." I said as I closed the door.

I take the bottle of whiskey to my office, not bothering about the glass. It is almost done anyways. I flipped open my notebook and started writing, you could see my handwriting turning worse and worse as time progressed, my mind thinking faster than my hand could write with the other holding the whiskey. The notebook at the end of the day is filled with words that other people won't be able to read, not even me.

I slumped down into the chair, still holding the bottle by my side. Reminiscing the times I spent with my younger sister. I didn't realise that I was losing strength in my hand and the whiskey bottle slipped out of my hand. The shattering sound of the bottle woke me up, pieces of glass spread on the floor.

Damn it, I am already so tired, why give myself more work to do?

I sighed as I bent down to clean up the mess I just made. I pick up the bigger glass shards before sweeping the rest up with a book, not bothering to get a broom. I don't even remember where it is.

Just as I was done throwing the glass in the bin, I hear someone banging on my door.

Who could it be at this hour? I tread carefully towards the door as the person continues banging, ready to defend at any attack.

"Natalie?" I see her in her bloody shirt and a knife at her side.

"Sorry, but you're the closest here." Natalie speaks between her heavy breathing.

I ushered her in and made sure no one was outside. I grabbed her before she fell and lifted her onto my kitchen tabletop before scrambling to grab my medical supplies.

"You should have called the ambulance and not come to me." I came back with everything I needed and injected her with anesthesia before helping her with her wound.

Natasha POV
I begin acting on my own. I head to the place I last saw Karl which was the accessory shop. I asked the owner for a copy of the CCTV and reviewed it on my phone. Y/N was there too. They seemed to have picked up the same thing.

Was she there coincidentally or on purpose? There are way too many coincidences here...

Either way, I asked the owner some questions and purchased the earring as well. I took a closer look at the earring, but there seemed to be nothing special about it. I walk around the neighbourhood to see where he could have gone before getting killed.

I got the morgue report from the police and it stated he was killed by a bullet through the head. There were no burn marks on the head, indicating he was likely killed from a distance. I go to the crime scene to gather more clues and see that it was near the outlet that Y/N brought us. The only time that matches the time of death is the train departure when the sound horns. Anyone could be a possible suspect of this case.

Maybe Y/N could have heard something when she was in the washroom.

I checked the surroundings to figure out the line of fire, but I heard something behind me. I turned the corner to check things out but there was nobody. No sight of anyone. This is a tough case, witness report shows that he looked like he was being chased so I guess that's another clue to look into.

I walk out into the streets, it is illuminated with the weak street lamps that line the street, some of them are not even working. Every three or four lamps, there will be a few not functioning.

Someone walked into me and I gave them the death stare, until the pain set in. That fucking bastard stab me! Before I could identify the guy or grab him, he ran away into the darkness. I place pressure on the wound before I bleed out. I wouldn't be able to make it back to the compound quick enough, that's when I remember Y/N house is around this area.

I place my hands on the wall for support, the more I walk, the dizzier I feel. My vision was so blurry that I could barely stand upright. I stumbled my way to the house and bangs on her door.

Is her house too big to hear the banging?

Finally I hear the door click and her shocked face.

"Natalie?" She must be having the shock of her life, seeing me in this state.

"I'm sorry, but you are the closest here." I tried to get my words out while breathing heavily, I must have lost a lot of blood.

She pulled me in but I lost my footing and she managed to catch me before I faceplant on the floor.

"You should have called the ambulance and not come to me." She said after lifting me up and placing me on a flat surface.

I wanted to speak but I was drifting in and out of consciousness before fully blacking out.