4. Sound

Natasha POV
I am trailing behind this man I was supposed to gather more information about. He is about to head into a shop, so I cross the street and take the window seat of the café nearby and watch him more carefully. He shouldn't be able to detect me from across the street.

He didn't seem to spend much time in the shop as he came out rather quickly.

I was just about to follow him when Y/N took the seat in front of me. "Hey stranger, don't tell me you're a regular here too."

Shit! The target is leaving. I look past her shoulder to scan for the target.

"I just so happen to be around this area." I reply to her.

"I know it's not breakfast but can I bring you out for lunch?" She sounds so confident when she speaks that I wonder if she has been rejected before. Since the target is out of sight, I accepted her offer.

Y/N is bringing me to a place she has heard crazy reviews about but has yet to visit. It's a few streets down and as we walk, I try to find my target and engage in her conversation at the same time.

As we take our seat, I ask her a question I always wanted to know. "What do you work as?"

"What do you think I work as?" She answers me with another question.

"It's just, your house is massive and luxurious and I can't think of many jobs that pay so well."

She chuckled at my answer and said, "You can say that I am a private trainer."

"You don't seem like a bodybuilder." Y/N looks fit, she has a lean body and the right curve at the right place. Doesn't seem like someone who is obsessed with muscles.

"I am trained at all sorts of things, not just bodybuilding. I get to charge high prices for it. I have the demand, so why not?"

"Freelance?"

"You could say that."

Your POV
Thank goodness the waiter brings the menu over at the right time. We are not allowed to expose too much of our job.

We ordered our food and I excused myself to the washroom which is located at the back of the outlet. I caught a glimpse of Karl running past the back alley and peeked out. It looks like he was being chased since he kept looking back.

I take a look at the time. It is almost time for the railway train to depart, and they are typically quite accurate with their time schedule. I take out my pistol from my holster and aim it right in the center of his head. As soon as the train horn sounded, there was a bullet in his head. This goes quite flawlessly since the person chasing him is likely to come and mess up the scene with all his fingerprints and Natalie can provide me with an alibi.
(I know trains don't have horns anymore, especially not in America, but just go with it. I needed some action. Also, don't ask how you know the train schedule)

I rinse my hand and get rid of the gunpowder smell as much as possible before heading back to Natalie.

"Sorry, I hope I didn't take too long." I said as I got back to my seat. She shook her head, and as if on cue, our food is being served.

"What do you work as?" I thought I'd ask her back the same question.

"I work as an assistant for a tech company." She replied very quickly.

"Tech company, so you know a thing or two about technologies." I try to continue the conversation. She gave me the wavy hand, so I assume she does more filling than research and development.

Before going separate ways, we exchanged phone numbers since it was definitely fate that we met twice coincidentally. 

Natasha POV
"Can we exchange numbers?" Y/N said as we walked out of the outlet. We exchanged our phones to enter our number in the other's phone

So happened my phone rings while in Y/N hands, she handed it back to me and I answered the call. Clint told me that Fury wants an emergency meeting out of the blue. I thought that was weird, but I can't do anything about it.

"Sorry, I have to go." I informed Y/N after ending the call. We said our goodbyes and I rushed back to the compound. Clint was already waiting for me at the front gate. I can sense his smirk from a mile away.

"So, did you go on a date?" Clint started rambling as we walk to Fury's office

"No, I went out to have lunch." I don't know to tell him if I went for my mission but ended up getting side-tracked. He hummed, skeptical about what I said.

He walks me to the office but turns away at the door. "Aren't you coming in?"

"Nope, Fury wants you only." He speaks with his back facing me.

I knocked before entering his office.

"Do you know what just happened?" Fury started talking before I could even reach his desk. I have a confused look on my face which answers his question. "The man you were supposed to gather more information on is dead. Dead!" He slams his fist on the table as he speaks.

"What? I just saw him about an hour ago." I was sure it was him. He walked into that accessory shop.

"What's the use? Now we can't get to him for more information. Our trail has been cut."

"But you didn't tell me why he is important." You remembered searching for more data in the SHIELD database but were not granted access.

"Because you don't need to know. Finish your mission report and it will be transferred to other people. You can leave now." He sat back down on his seat and waved me away. I was going to argue about kicking me off the mission but I decided against it. He should know I never leave things undone. 

What kind of job is so secretive and allows you to learn so many things? Have you figured it out?

Turns out we were following the same person and we are both hiding our real job.