Chapter Four: Trees Don't have Arms

Chapter Four:

Trees Don't Have Arms.

Crouching behind a tree is agonising. It doesn't look this painful in movies. But my thighs are on fire. Twisting my body I look around my hiding spot. I hadn't encountered any of the opposite team yet. We had set up a certain area that we were not allowed go past. We agreed to play capture the flag. Looking to my right I see Jess scouting out the area to. We were told to stay back and guard the flag. Or my mother's tea towel as it may look like to passer bys. Sam and Zoe were playing offence.They had been gone ten minutes and we still hadn't heard cries of triumph.

"Pst." Jess tries to catch my attention. Scaring the crap out o me in the process.

"What?" I ask having jumped into shooting position. She was closer then before.

"I'm going to go see if I can help. You stay here." Jess goes to leave when I throw a stone at her. Not wanting to waste my bullets on her.

"Ow." She stares at me in shock. "What was that for?"

"You can not leave me by myself. What if they all charge at once?" I keep my tone at a whisper but still try to sound as angry as possible.

"Ok they won't because then their flag is ungaurded plus one of them is five Lee pull it together." With that she runs away.

I sink against the tree. My friend is evil and does not care about my welfare. Following Jess' instructions I pull myself together and stand up ready to attack. Well defend really. Staring out into the forest I look for any signs of movement. None. I'm all alone.

This is starting to seem like a horror film. I have never really been the type of girl that would survive a horror movie. You know that girl singing in the shower while a guy comes along with an axe and kills her. I've always been more of that girl.

Walking backwards to my flag I face out to the dense forest. Breath in, breath out. Taking another step back I hit something hard. Trust me to walk into a tree. Suddenly a pair of arms wrap around me. Trees do not have arms.

"Don't scream Leeann. Wouldn't want anyone else to hear us." Jayden whispers.

"You frightened me." I sigh ignoring his hand on my waist.

"You should watch your back more honey." Jayden laughs at me.

"You're forgetting one thing." I smirk still facing outwards. But I can practically feel the confusion on his face.

Before he had time to answer I elbow him in the stomach. His hands slips from my body. I turn on my heel and grabs his hands making him drop his gun. Holding his hands behind his back I trip him up lightly placing him on the ground.

"I have five brothers." Ok maybe I might stand against the axe guy. But that would be way harder if I was wet, plus naked.

"Holy crap. But you're so small." Jayden stares at me in shock.

"The runt of the litter needs to be able to protect themselves." I then flex my muscles standing over him. I lean down and pick up my gun that I had dropped when he frightened me.

"You're forgetting one thing." Jayden smirks at me now. Slowly standing upwards I stare at him.

Oh the tide has turned. He lifts himself up with his arms.

"My brother is a star quarterback." Before I know it he is up and running.

No running doesn't do it justice. He is gliding, flying over the land. Like a jet plane. I don't even think his feet touched the ground once. Before I can blink he has the flag (tea towel) in his hand.