Chapter 12: Getting It Together

SYA'S POV
THREE WEEKS LATER...

"40! 41..... DON'T STOP NOW! 45! 46! 47.... GIVE ME THREE MORE!. GOOD!... 50!" I dropped the 60 pound medicine ball and breathed heavily. I sat on the bench and rubbed my knee. I don't know why squats were invented but they gotta go.

"Come on I need a lap around the track. I'll even run with ya this time." I was working out with my physical therapist. Its 4 AM and its 50° outside. Something I've been doing twice a week for a minute now.

"Come one the more you move the warmer you'll get!" I walked out the building with Marrisa and on to the track.

"Give me three laps! No slackin". I nodded and pulled up my Nike shorts higher on my waist.

"On your mark. Get set.... Go!" I took off at full speed with her right next to me. I could feel the unbearable pain in my leg but I kept going. I gritted my teeth and kept form. The cold air burned my cheeks and lungs as I blew all around me.

"C'mon push threw it." I finished the three laps and laid on the cold ground panting like a old bitch in a Walmart parking lot. She handed me my water bottle and I took several gulps.

I went to my Doctor and he said the little tissue I have left in my knee is slowly deteriorating. For me only to be 23 that's no bueno. If there's none left I can't walk. If I can't walk they'll take my leg. Or I'll have to get a knew replacement y'all prevent me from waking for months. I have a child and a couple businesses to run. That would kill me. It's a lose, lose situation but we'll cross that road when we get to it.

Also shile I was at the doctors, I was also told my stress levels are through the roof. This whole August thing is bothering me. He admitted himself into a rehab nearly a month ago. As much as I'm mad at him I want him home. But he needs help that I can't give to him.

"C'mon Alsina. We got 130 frog leaps to do." I mentally cried in pain but followed her back inside.

AUGUST'S POV

I sat in front of ma therapist as she wrote down things on ha' notepad. I had been hea fo' almos' three weeks na. An ta be honest witchu I don't feel no betta.

"Okay Mr. Alsina-"

"August."

"Well August you've been with us for a little while and this is your first time you've came to see me on your own. Why is that?" I got comfortable on the couch and played with the string on my pajamas. She was woman who looked almos' 70 wit gray hair an these piercin' green eyes that fo' once intimidated me.

"Nervous. I guess."

"How come?". She crossed ha legs then pushed ha glasses higha' on ha nose.

"Cause I don't share ma feelin's wit nobody. Not even ma wife sometimes. She be havin' ta beg me half da time befo' I say what's on ma mind. So imagine how I feel to tell you. A complete stranga how I feel?" She wrote things down and nodded.

"I completely understand. So tell me why you're here?"

I took a deep breath and decided not ta be stubborn fa once.

"I got me a drinkin problem."

"How bad was it before you came here?" I pursed my lips and wiped a hand down ma face.

"I uh... Was takin a nap wit my daughta. And when I woke up thea' was a empty bottle on the floo' and a damn near finished one in ma hand. My wife woke me up wit ma child in ha arms. She was so angry that we didn't speak fo'a few days". I got mad at ma self all ova again thinkin bout it.