7| Taking a hit

(Previously)
"Wow. You really thought of a plan on how to tell them." Charlotte laughed.

"I came up with that plan after my first ever fight with The Toddler, as Kid Danger 4 years ago." I smiled, thinking that back then, as a 14 year old, I was a genius.

(Present)
HENRY
Being pregnant was definitely sucking the fun out of being a superhero's sidekick. As of today, I was officially 2 months pregnant. At the slight chance that the baby's gender could be revealed, Ray was adamant that we should know.

Piper wanted to be the first to know, as she and Charlotte were going to get a gender reveal party set up. As for sidekick life, criminal activity seemed to be increasing, which wasn't so bad when I wasn't vomiting every 20 minutes.
———
Today was the day that Ray and I found out the gender of our baby, although, we had let the nurse know that my sister would be attending.

"So, Henry, can you please lift up your shirt, and we'll get started." The nurse smiled as she got the machine set up.

I did what the lady asked for me, as Ray sat down on the chair next to me.

"Are we finding out the gender today?" She asked as the machine lit up her face.

"Piper will. We won't." I smiled as the nurse guided Piper over to the machine. Piper was the best person to keep a secret, since she always manages to keep a straight face.

"Okay-dokey. Let's get to the search." She put the weird gel on my noticeable baby bump as she began her search. After a few seconds, the screen in front of us lit up, revealing the baby and a heartbeat. I felt Ray squeeze my hand as we both teared up.

After a few minutes, the screen in front of us turned off as Piper was shown the screen. The woman left the room, presumably to get the print out of the screen. She returned 4 minutes later with 3 copies and a yellow envelope.

"3 of these copies are normal, the one in the envelope is the same as the others, but it has the gender of the baby on the back." She handed the yellow envelope to Piper, who put it in her purse.

After the appointment was done, Piper hugged me.

"I'll see you at home." She spoke before getting into her car and driving off. After 3 years, it still shocked me to think of my 14-year old sister having a license.

Before we could get to Ray's car, my watch started triple-beeping. We both ran to the closest alleyway as I lifted the lid of my watch.

"What's the emergency Charlotte?" Ray looked at the hologram version of Charlotte.

"The Toddler is robbing the corner store How Convenient. He's got hostages." She panicked.

"Don't worry. We're on our way." I spoke as Ray looked at me.

"Henry, I don't think that's such as good idea considering your situation." He gestured towards my stomach.

"Ray, I'll be careful. I have super fast reflexes, so if he does have a weapon, he won't hit me." I reassured him as he nodded.

"Ok. As Henry said, we're on our way." He shut the lid of my watch as we grabbed our gum tubes. Chewing and transforming into Captain Man and Kid Danger out of sight, we began our journey to the fight.

"Any sign of trouble, and we're getting out of there...ok?" Ray looked at me.

"I'll let you know if anything remotely goes wrong." I smiled as we eventually made it to the store.

"Ok. You'll go in through the front, I'll go in through the roof." Ray kissed me on the cheek before we departed from each other.

I slammed the front door open, scaring the Toddler a little bit.

"It's time to change your diaper...Toddler." I smiled at my own quip.

"Uh, Kid Danger, I think you should cut back on whatever Captain Man is feeding you. You're getting a little...fat." He pointed to my baby bump, assuming that I was indeed getting fat, even though that was only part of my situation, a situation he would never know about.

"Shut up Toddler." I aimed my gun at him. He panicked briefly before attempting to shoot me. His first few shots missed me, but I stepped on a broken floorboard, causing me to trip over as his 4th blast hit me in the chest, knocking me to the floor.

I could hear the sound of the roof falling, then the sound of The Toddler falling as well.

"KID!" Captain Man freaked out as I felt his arms lift me up.

"T-The Toddler..." I could barely talk without trying to breathe.

"I handcuffed him before I saw you." Captain Man reassured me.

"I thought you would've dodged it." He carried me outside.

"I-I think I t-tripped over a broken f-floorboard and his blast g-got me in the chest." I admitted as Captain Man took me back to the Man Cave after the police had arrived to arrest The Toddler and rescue the hostages.