Chapter 55: Inevitable

Start from the beginning

"I don't want to go, I hate going to the hospital." Yue Zhishi spoke with great difficulty, and he kept repeating it over and over, his words disjointed and muddled.

Shen Mi stopped caring that he refused to go and directly pulled him over to forcefully get him on his back.

But very soon, blinding high beams stopped his movements. Shen Mi looked over, frowning, and realised a black car was coming closer. He could guess who the person in the car was, and it was exactly who he expected.

Song Yu came out of the car, his steps very swift. Shen Mi's actions stiffened, and he placed down Yue Zhishi, keeping hold of his wrist. Yue Zhishi looked completely unwilling — unwilling to go to the hospital — but in Song Yu's eyes, the reason for his unwillingness turned into something else.

"What are you doing?"

Even though Shen Mi gripped onto Yue Zhishi very tightly, Song Yu was still able to bring Yue Zhishi over in one motion.

Yue Zhishi had clearly been so insistent just then, but it was like he gave up the moment he heard Song Yu's voice. He leaned against Song Yu's body.

As their skin came into contact with each other, Song Yu only then realised something was wrong with Yue Zhishi. He lifted a hand to touch Yue Zhishi's forehead and then looked at Shen Mi.

Shen Mi's face was steady and calm. "He's sick. I was going to take him to the hospital. It's that simple."

Song Yu stared at him and said thank you after a few seconds. "He has a terrible temper when he's sick. You won't be able to handle it. I'll drive him over." He lifted up the half conscious Yue Zhishi horizontally, carrying him into the car, and closed the passenger seat's door.

He turned around and saw Shen Mi who'd subconsciously followed over. He felt apologetic for misunderstanding him, and Song Yu's voice gentled slightly. "You should head back to your dorm, I'll contact you on WeChat if anything happens."

But for some reason — maybe because of that sentence, or maybe because of the sentence before — Shen Mi was unexpectedly infuriated. The hands he'd left next to his body tightened into fists, and he glared at Song Yu from half a metre away. He said, using a moderately loud voice, "I'll tell you directly. I like Yue Zhishi."

Song Yu wasn't surprised. He turned his head over to double check if Yue Zhishi was still sleeping, and then he twisted back around to continue confronting Shen Mi.

"I really liked him from the first time I saw him on the bus. That's why I ran after him in the rain to return his phone, and that's why I actively requested to transfer classes. Yue Zhishi looks like he's really easy to get close to, but he actually doesn't open his heart very easily. So I've been working hard, hoping to get a bit more space in his heart. Do you understand how that feels?"

Song Yu listened to Shen Mi speak very solemnly. He thought if Yue Zhishi heard these words, he might've been very touched — but unfortunately, he was Song Yu.

"What's the point in you telling me all this?"

Shen Mi laughed, as if he was extremely unsatisfied with Song Yu's attitude of ignoring everything he said. "You can continue pretending. To be honest, I've felt like you and I were the same since the first time I saw you. We're both people with ulterior motives, so why don't we reveal our cards and fight fairly. There's no need for you to act like you have a higher identity than me — it's not like your feelings are more important than mine."

"What's your identity, a friend? A classmate?" Song Yu looked at him indifferently, and then bluntly lay bare Shen Mi's thoughts. "You're just using that as a pretence to continue getting closer to the person you want to approach."