Chapter 48: Unexpected Visit

Start from the beginning

Yue Zhishi didn't dare move anymore. The light from the torch violently barged around in the dark night, just like his heart at this moment. He felt he was overly nervous, so he silently begged in his heart for the director to quickly leave.

The begging seemed to be somewhat useful.

The director left the classroom he was initially in and went searching in a different place; his torchlight also disappeared. Yue Zhishi only then relaxed, and his tense muscles loosened in relief, subconsciously leaning against Song Yu's body.

"That scared me to death."

Yue Zhishi's head was lowered, the sound of his voice very soft — his forehead was propped on Song Yu's shoulder as he continued to lightly pant.

This pose looked like a half-finished embrace.

A few minutes later, the director seemed to give up. Many classrooms and labs in the laboratory building were locked, so even if students wanted to hide in them, they wouldn't be able to get inside. The director and the other people came out and walked around to the back.

Yue Zhishi's heart had only relaxed for a short amount of time before starting up again. Luckily, Song Yu reacted very quickly and pulled him around to the side of the column to hide.

The director was tired from running around. He roughly scanned around with his torchlight, and when he didn't see anyone in the vicinity, he cursed and decided to give up.

Yue Zhishi only opened his mouth after a long time passed. He whispered, "Did they leave?"

He only relaxed after seeing Song Yu nod — his shoulders slumped in relief.

"As expected, people shouldn't say things to jinx themselves." Yue Zhishi led Song Yu towards that side gate as he continued complaining. "Good thing I'm pretty familiar with this area. I noticed this gate here before."

Their footsteps landed in the thickly grown grass, the rustling noises mixing with the chirping of the cicadas — this was the sound of summer.

"Why'd you notice this for?"

Yue Zhishi didn't look back as he carelessly said, "Because I was always looking for a place to memorise my texts by myself. There are very little people around here. Many retired teachers live here in the area, and I once saw them bring their grandsons and granddaughters to play at school by coming through this side gate." He started to sound pretty pleased with himself as he continued speaking. "I even told Jiang Yufan about this, and then he later always used this gate to sneak out of school."

"You've never snuck out before?"

"No." Yue Zhishi wasn't sure if Song Yu was questioning whether he'd actually snuck out before, or if he was questioning his familiarity with this side gate. He thought Song Yu was probably asking him more about the latter, so he stressed, "In any case, I pretty much memorised my texts every day, at least six days a week. I always see people going through this gate every time I came, so it's definitely a reliable way to get out."

But this later also became a jinx.

Song Yu stood there, arms crossed against his chest, and remained calm and composed as Yue Zhishi stood in front of that little iron gate, wildly shaking the door lock almost the size of his fist. He repeated the key words from Yue Zhishi's speech earlier. "I'm pretty familiar with this area, I'm here six days a week, definitely reliable."

Yue Zhishi awkwardly raised his face. "Maybe today's the one day they lock the gate..."

They ended up climbing over the wall to escape.