Chapter 29: Late Night Chat by the Lake

Start from the beginning

Even though his tone didn't really sound all that congratulatory and the reward was just an ice cream cone, Yue Zhishi was very obviously happy. He lowered his head and ripped open the packaging, realising he'd never tried this flavour before.

The packaging said the cone was white peach oolong tea flavoured.

"You can have only one bite." Song Yu once again started to sound a bit merciless. "You can't eat too much ice cream when you're sick."

Yue Zhishi didn't really pay attention to what he said. He noticed this ice cream cone was slightly different from others — it didn't have the fancy swirls of chocolate and hazelnut pieces at the top, only a layer of white, translucent jelly. His first reaction after he pulled open the packaging was disappointment, and when he took a bite, he found it a bit sour.

It was a layer of peach-flavoured jelly.

His brain only then processed what Song Yu said. "Only one bite?" He looked at Song Yu and squeezed his eyebrows together. "But this top layer's not nice at all. I still haven't gotten to the ice cream, so it's like I didn't even get to eat it. Besides, no one's flu will get worse just because they ate an ice cream."

Only when it came to food would Yue Zhishi be particularly logical and eager to debate.

Song Yu eventually relented. He leaned back on the bench and gazed at the lake not too far away.

There was a hazy layer of mist floating above the lake. One couple stood underneath a street lamp, kissing, and he looked again at Yue Zhishi. He was truly absorbed into eating his ice cream cone, peeking into it every time he took a bite to see what was inside.

Yue Zhishi found the layer of jelly quite ordinary, so he tentatively tried the light pink layer of ice cream.

It was surprisingly very delicious.

He flipped his face over to Song Yu, eyes bright. "It tastes like milk tea."

"What?" Song Yu glanced back at him, looking a bit distracted.

"This ice cream cone is milk tea flavoured, like an ." Yue Zhishi's voice was very excited. "Do you want to try?" He lifted the cone and merely moved it over closer to Song Yu, unlike how he used to directly stuff the food he wanted Song Yu to try into his mouth.

But after he moved it closer, Yue Zhishi remembered Song Yu didn't like to eat sweet things, so he paused and started to retract his hand back, curbing his desire to share his things with Song Yu.

The moment Yue Zhishi's hand began to retreat, Song Yu grabbed his wrist and pulled, holding it in place so he could take a bite.

Nearby, a mischievous child threw a stone into the lake. The couple joined together under the street lamp slowly pulled apart, and the moonlight shining onto the heart of the lake was startled enough to diffuse and spread into thousands of glittering fragments.

Yue Zhishi took back his hand, his wrist flushed.

Song Yu was silent for a few seconds, and then he gave an assessment. "Not bad."

The two of them quietly sat there, Yue Zhishi continuing to eat. Eating the ice cream cone took a lot of effort as he needed to break off the cone shell and leave it to the side as he consumed the ice cream, but he was still very satisfied at the end. He said, falling back on the bench, "I feel like I've recovered by fifty percent."

Song Yu didn't make fun of his childish way of thinking. He took out a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it over. Yue Zhishi was a bit stunned when he took the slightly wrinkled paper — he carefully looked over it under the light, and realised it was the action plan he previously created for studying overseas.