Chapter 1 - An Unlucky Year

Start from the beginning

In just one night, Yue Zhishi had lost both his parents. Even Song Jin who flew to the UK to pick him up didn't know how to explain this to a three-year-old child.

At that time, Yue Zhishi was holding onto Song Jin's sleeve and would only sweetly call him uncle. (KKnotes: Uncle in English) He didn't know what death meant or what foster care was. He was taken back to the Song family and since then settled in Jiang City.

The red light at the intersection forced Yue Zhishi to come to a stop. He had woken up too suddenly this morning and was still a little lightheaded right now. He stared at the red light ahead as his thoughts jumped from one thing to another. There were only remnants left of dream he had last night. He seemed to have turned into small thing and would constantly follow Song Yu around everywhere. Because his Chinese wasn't very good, he could only stick close to him.

Lin Rong would always tease Yue Zhishi with a jealous tone, saying that the first Chinese word he had learnt was actually gege. (KKnotes: gege = brother)

But Song Yu didn't like to speak much and was lukewarm to anyone. Fortunately, even though he didn't talk to Yue Zhishi much, he didn't drive him away and just allowed him to pester him. Only when they got older and started elementary school did Yue Zhishi's mixed-race appearance become more eye catching.

Song Yu was already eye catching enough and with another doll-like child following him around, they basically became the topic everyone gossiped about, especially regarding their family affairs. After a while, Song Yu lost patience. When they moved to a new place and left the community and their elementary school classmates, he set up three rules.

– Don't call me gege outside.
– Don't go to school or go home together with me.
– Don't let others know that you live with me.

At first, Yue Zhishi couldn't accept this. Song Yu leaving and moving on to junior high school was already a huge blow for him, not to mention the fact that he couldn't call him gege. He however had always been guided by Song Yu in life and was taught that rules come first. In any case, rather than being completely ignored, keeping a distance outside seemed more acceptable.

In Yue Zhishi's mind, Song Yu was always like a goal or target for him to chase after. When Song Yu was six and he was three, he stumbled after his brother to watch the ants carry their food home. When Song Yu was ten and he was seven, he who could finally attend elementary school with his brother for the first time was so happy, he started singing but his mouth was soon covered up. When Song Yu was fifteen and he was twelve, the old man selling ice cream gave him a bench so that he could sit and wait for his brother to leave the examination centre. He still remembered that he ate three popsicles that day. Song Yu didn't realise this and even gave up taking the school bus for him to take a taxi to eat crayfish.

The crayfish were very big that day. He ate twenty-three of them, fifteen of which were peeled by Song Yu because he peeled them too slowly. He remembered himself retorting, "Although I don't know how to peel them, I am very good at hiding. None of your classmates saw me, did they?"

Song Yu disagreed, "But I found you with one glance so you're not very good at hiding."

Yue Zhishi always insisted that he was good at hiding, including his relationship with Song Yu to the outside world. Later he had to admit that Song Yu was right.

"The light is green, let's go."

A voice interrupted his thoughts. He glanced at the time and then started to accelerate. He arched his thin body and pedalled hard. It was the beginning of September and the wind was still warm. The wind caused his summer uniform to billow out and Yue Zhishi's slightly curly brown hair glowed golden in the sun, looking fluffy and soft.