Longing For A Glance

LANDED IN SOUTH KOREA

" Okay! I am here in South Korea, I have got my luggage and I have got my won

" Okay! I am here in South Korea, I have got my luggage and I have got my won. Now what?", I asked myself as I slowly walked out of the airport.

I was completely immersed in my thoughts when suddenly someone ran past me making me lose my footing. I held onto my bag for support. Furious, I raised my head to give an earful to that person only to find out that it was a 23-year-old girl just like me running towards a bunch of people who were rejoicing on seeing her. She ran and hugged an older woman in tears, probably her mom while her dad stroked her head. Suddenly all my anger drained out . I smiled to myself standing there all alone, looking at my feet, desperately trying to stop those tears that threatened to spill.

I shut my eyes close, let the tears soak in, composed myself, and took a deep breath.

This wasn't the time to get emotional. I still need to figure out what to do.

As I collected my stuff and looked up, there was a face in front of me. The beautiful face of the 23 yr old girl who ran past me.

" mi-an-he-yo!", she said.

I just looked at her dumbfounded. I had no idea what she said.

Wait...

I HAD NO IDEA WHAT SHE SAID.

How could I even come to South Korea in the first place? I don't even know their language. All those k dramas put me in an illusion that I can understand Korean , but reality check, I can't.

I mentally smacked my forehead.

I have nowhere to go. I don't know what to do. I don't know anyone here. What do I do?

I started sweating profusely.

The girl must have noticed. She placed a hand on my shoulder and started saying something probably trying to calm me down.

But how could I relax when I didn't understand a thing she said?

I started fidgeting. I looked everywhere else but her face desperately trying to avoid any kind of eye contact with her.

" Umm...English?", she asked trying to follow my eyes.
I stopped and looked at her with wide eyes.

"Yes thank you!", I said as a huge wave of relief rushed through my brain.

" Great. Are you okay?", she asked me with a concerned face.

" Yeah, I am fine. Thank you.", I said with an almost smile, the panic slowly fading away.

" I just wanted to apologize for startling you. I was too excited to see my family after 5 years I didn't notice you.", she said looking back at her family.

Wow. She came back to apologize? I wasn't expecting that.

"It's okay, I understand. By the way, Your English is really good.", I complimented her.