55 | New Year, New Beginnings | December 31, 1899-January 1, 1900

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

Race made plans to see his grandparents in the evening. So now, in the late afternoon, he's going to see Spot.

Except ... he can't find Spot.

He asks some Brooklyn newsies where he might find Spot. They shrug and tell him that he left a while ago.

I thought if I could find him, I could convince him to spend New Year's with us.

He can't help but feel a tiny bit disappointed.

Maybe I'm not so fortunato in amore after all.

He knocks on his grandparents' door. They've told him that if it's unlocked, he can let himself in. But he still would rather announce his presence than just walk in.

I guess I have learned some form of impulse control.

As Nonno and Nonna open la porta, Race says, "Auguri di buon anno."

Best wishes for a good new year.

They hug him and wish him a good new year too.

Race likes it that this day, New Year's Eve, is called San Silvestro in Italian. It's just fun to say.

Since he's not going to be here at midnight, he can't follow through with all the traditional things that people from Italy do on New Year's. The one thing he really feels like he's missing out on, though, is the actual tradition of literally following through the act "out with the old" and tossing all old stuff out the window at midnight. But since this is America, they probably wouldn't do that anyway.

But there is one thing he'll be here for: a (very early) New Year's Eve dinner.

Normally, the dinner is at midnight. But early evening works out in their case. Maybe his grandparents will have their own dinner at midnight. But for now, it's the three of them. Just like it always should have been.

Their dinner is complete with many traditional foods: cotechino con lenticchie, risotto, raisins, followed by grapes for dessert. 

Finally, I can become a part of a culture I had only learned about from the side.

Race makes it back to the lodging house as soon as he can. They still have a few hours till midnight. But now it's time to spend it with his other family.

"Happy New Year's Eve, Race!" Ray, Jack, Blink, Mush, Crutchy, and Stargazer shout when he opens the door, all smiles.

Race smiles back. "Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!"

As he enters, he notices that David is there to. Of course he is. "Oh hiya, Davey."

"Hi, Racetrack."

The better question would be why wouldn't David be here? What with Jack being so smitten, and those feelings being equally reciprocated.

David and Jack are hopelessly in love. It's obvious. Only a fool (like they were when they still had only just met) couldn't see it.

Race falters a little. At least Jack was able to convince his partner to come.

He can't get the phrase sfortunato al gioco, fortunato in amore out of his mind.

Go away.

It won't.

Sometimes, Race's mind is a wondrous place.

I'll Always Look Out For Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें