romantic attraction

I don't know where this prompt came from...is it bad that I thought of it while repeatedly banging my head into a plush mat in gym class...?

A Short Rini Fluff That Ai-Vy Got the Idea to Write at a Time When She Should be Sleeping

—————

2018

"Dude, please fucking go ask her out already...we can't stand the suspense. You guys love each other, you've been best friends since kindergarten, you danced with her at homecoming...please...?" Red pleaded as he looked at his best friend.

"Red, I'm telling you, I don't dare to ask a girl out. I mean, ANY girl, sure, but this is my best friend we're talking about. Did my dreaded hormones kick in after all these years?"

"Sadly, it did. I can't stop thinking about Ashlyn..." Ricky sent him a confused look, so Red quickly shook his head. "No, enough about my love life, you. Need. To. Ask. Nini. Out. That is not a request."

"I'm trying to think of creative date ideas. I mean, we can't just give the people at your parents' restaurant free reenactments of Hamilton all the time."

The two boys sat in thought for a while, Red occasionally throwing a ball into his mini net. Finally, the redhead snapped his fingers. "I got it; ask her to help you with a skating project...for your father."

—————

"Yo, Nini!" Ricky called as he strolled down the hall, his skateboard in hand.

"Yeah?" she answered, closing her locker door and turning to him with a smile on her face. "What is it...hold up, is that Throb?"

His palms began to get sweaty, and he mentally facepalmed himself for using an overwhelming amount of the cologne. "Yeah...so I was wondering..."

The next few minutes felt like a lifetime, and Ricky decided to mentally count to ten in French (in his head) and break the news. "Would you like to...uh...help me with this skateboarding project? It's for my dad; he's always wanted to learn how to do this, but he's never been the most athletic. After school today, the parking lot."

Nini shrugged. "Count me in, it's a date!"

—————

Clearly, 'date' meant bringing along her wingwoman, aka best friend Kourtney. Upon arriving at the parking lot, Ricky saw that Nini had dressed up slightly better than she usually did. Sure, she was always beautiful in his eyes, but there just seemed to be a little something more, je ne sais quoi today.

"Got the camera ready?" he said to Red.

"Aye, aye, captain," he saluted.

"Don't call me that-anyway, hi, Dad, if you're watching this...I have the whole crew here! Say hi!"

Nini, Kourtney, and Red waved at the camera.

"So, I'll be teaching you how to skateboard since...well, you've never done it, and you've always wanted to learn. In the words of my perky-ass seventh-grade teacher, 'it's never too late to learn something new.' Here we go!"

The first few tricks were easy, but they all grew worried when Ricky announced he would do the 360 degree flip. "Are you sure-alright, he's doing this."

The tumble was a painful one. Ricky dislocated his shoulder, broke his leg, and had a huge bruise under his eye. Later that night, when he was all bandaged up, he sat with Nini under her porch.

"That was an epic fail."

"Fail of the year, Bowen. God, you are such an idiot, but that's why I like you."

Finally, Ricky cleared his throat.
"You know...I wasn't filming that for my dad, you know. I just wanted an excuse to hang out with you."

"We can hang out at any time, Ricky, why does that have to change, and why did you break fracture almost every part of your body just to impress me?"

"Well...I may or may not have a romantic attraction towards you...?"

Nini giggled. "What would you say...if I told you that you would be my dearest, Richard?"

"Oh, the damn comma. Well...I'd ask if I could kiss you."

"Which I'd say yes to."

"Can I?"

"Wait." She tenderly removed the bandage from the spot covering his lips and pressed a quick kiss to it. "Maybe I should wait to kiss you when you're not completely bruised..."

"No, I'm fine. I'm more than alright. I've got...wait, hold up, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"Let me think about it...yes."

—————

I can't tell why this idea sounds so familiar to me...was it in the show? I don't know, I feel brainwashed after the past two weeks at school. God, it's brutal out here.

And I should be asleep, except I'm curled up with a copy of Alex and Eliza and my phone.

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V