some joy and laughter (2)

Ricky and Nini are polar opposites—he's a nonfiction writer about who-knows-what, and she's determined to bring joy and laughter back to the Bowen house. He may find out he's falling for the cheerful nanny, but nothing ever goes as planned in this household.

Ricky's POV

        I carefully looked her over. She had that head-in-the-clouds look on her face. The look that Lea used to have before she left.

         "You're hired," I said, shaking my head. I absolutely had no other options.

       "Thank you!" she exclaimed, clapping loudly like a little girl on Christmas Day. "I won't crash your car into a garage, I promise."

       "Right," I muttered, typing up the next paragraph for my book: The State and Debt of the Economy, by Richard Bowen.

Soon, two curly-headed, hazel-eyed kids came in. Those were my children, and I hoped this nanny would take care of them well. Introduce them to the concept of the real world. They were seven, old enough to know.

I didn't want them to fall into the world of fruitless fairytales and those ridiculous notions of "true love." I knew for a fact that it was better to be faced with reality rather than with fantasy, no matter how painful the truth was.

"You two can show the new nanny the apartment," I said as I typed another paragraph. "Dinner's in the fridge, frozen spaghetti or frozen waffles, just reheat it."

I could see Nina give me a curious look from the corner of my eye, but I paid no heed to it. Charlotte and Clayton led her out of my office, and I sighed as I rubbed the small patch of graying hair on the back of my head. I'm twenty-six, but I've seen a lot in the past years.

So far, I'd typed about 4,000 words in this paragraph. I don't understand why everyone thinks state and debt of the economy is boring, it's absolutely fascinating! The checks, the balances! What's not to love?

I soon fell asleep on my computer keyboard, like I did most nights.

The next morning, I woke up to my favorite sound: silence. That's how it's always been, and that's how it will always be.

That was, until Nina came into the room, humming and singing a tune under her breath. She told me it was someone called "Taylor Swift," whom I assume must be very fast in the sport of running.

"Morning!" she chirped brightly. "I made pancakes for breakfast. They may not be very good, but they do look nice."

I observed the panned cakes. They were decorated to look like smiley faces, with chocolate chips for the eyes.

Charlotte and Clayton sat down and gobbled up their food, then they sprang up and tugged at Nina's arm

Charlotte and Clayton sat down and gobbled up their food, then they sprang up and tugged at Nina's arm. "Can we go now?"

She ate the last bit of her pancake before laughing. "Of course, just grab your coats. It's quite windy outside today."