we're weird, but we're okay.

Their story is nothing short of bizarre. Then again, they aren't like everyone else, they're uniquely themselves. Their friendship started with bonding over their hatred of Play-doh in detention to their high school years. A short fluff because there will be many angsts coming up...VERY SOON.

Trigger warning: Homophobia, the paranormal
——————————————————————

-kindergarten-

She glared at the mounds of Play-doh before her and scowled at her teacher. "Why do I have to play with this?"

Mrs. Clint bent down once again for the third time that day to look at the small girl. "One, it builds creativity and motor skills that you'll need for the future. Two, it's fun. You can make princesses, and unicorns, and fairies, whatever you want. The only limit is your imagination. Third, take this issue up to the principal for God's sake!"

The little girl smirked. "Well, I can come up with three reasons why I don't want to play with this. One, it stinks and makes my hands all sticky. Two, it stinks. Three, IT STINKS."

"Nina Salazar-Roberts, I believed those retarded lesbian mothers of yours taught you how to behave."

"What did you just call them?"

Mrs. Clint looked surprised, but she kept her mouth shut.

"Well, guess what? You're not as smart as you think, you're quite dumb," Nina shot back.

Mrs. Clint wouldn't have it and marched the girl down to the office. She was stuck in a room with one other boy. He was nervously fiddling with his fingers, and he looked scared, so she decided to make a pleasant conversation.

"Hi, I'm Nina Salazar-Roberts," she said, holding out her hand for him to shake.

"Richard Bowen," he announced. "Pleasure to meet you, Ni-ni-"

"It's not Nini, it's Nina," she enunciated.

"I have a little trouble with my vowels. My mom says I'll grow out of it by first grade."

Nini nodded. "Yeah, I think I like Nini better anyway. What'd you end up in detention for?"

Richard groaned. "I threw a fit because Billy Anderson cut my hair with scissors. Then I cut his back, except he's the "golden boy," and so...here I am."

"Who said life was easy?" Nini sighed. "This teacher made fun of my two moms and made me play with Play-doh. I screamed at her, and here I am."

Ricky grimaced. "Play-Doh is the worst thing that was ever invented. It just stinks!"

"When I am older and people start taking me more seriously, I want to ban it."

Soon, they'd struck up a conversation and were laughing like old friends. Maybe detention wasn't so bad after all.

———————————————

-Fourth grade-

"God, I hate science!" Ricky whined. "What's so fascinating about stinky old bread?"

"This counts for 70% of our final grade, Richard," Nini reminded. "Come on, aren't you going to do this with me?"

"I'm hungry," he whined again.

"Here, have some of my orange juice," Nini said without looking up from her microscope, handing him the bottle of juice.

He still didn't think he was full, so he grabbed the bread and shoved it in his mouth. "No, Ricky!"

"What? It tastes fine," he shrugged. Suddenly, he lurched forward. "Ow. Ow. Ow. I need to use the facilities."

He ran to the restroom, but let's just say he didn't make it in time.

Both of them got detention the next week for tampering with scientific materials, and Nini was still mad. However, she couldn't stay mad at her best friend for long.

————————————————

-Seventh grade-

Nini and Ricky were stuck in a literal hell.

Seventh grade meant nearing the end of middle school, which also meant uncomfortable health talks. The teachers would let no one go to the bathroom after one too many times of students escaping and locking themselves in their home attics last year.

Ricky closed his eyes and was dreaming of escaping when a sharp voice called. "Mr. Bowen, what point was I trying to convey?"

His eyes snapped open. "Uh, yeah, sex is where two people become cannibals, eat each other, survive, and then have a baby. Bam. Now, can I get out of here?"

Everyone laughed as the nurse made a sour face. "Nice try. So, as I said before..."

Next to him, Nini squeezed his hand and tapped his foot, which was their secret unspoken code for, "I have a plan." His face looked desperate, as he was willing to try anything to get out of this hell.

She stood up from her chair as all eyes turned towards her. "Miss Salazar Roberts, what point are you trying to make?"

Nini took a deep breath before she burst into song like it was a real-life musical. Just to make it more realistic, she jumped from the chairs to the table, all the while singing That Would be Enough from Hamilton. Ricky jumped up and joined in, and just like that, the rest of the kids started singing. The bewildered nurse, who had no idea what to do, called in the principal.

Good news: everyone had temporarily delayed the very uncomfortable talk.

Bad news: Nini and Ricky had detention, and everyone had to listen to the full version again tomorrow.

"Oh, that was definitely worth it," Ricky grinned.

———————————————

-senior year-

"So, me taking your virginity means I'm releasing a ghost with you?" Nini asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Yeah. We might become cannibals later in life, but for now, we'll just pull a prank on everyone for Halloween. I've never tried this with anyone, so the question is, when?"

"The theater," Nini grinned wickedly. "Everyone loves a good haunted theater. There's the La Petit in Louisiana, the Palace Theater in New York, and the Theater Royale in England. So what do you say? Halloween?"

"It's better than any dance," Ricky answered. "I'm in."

While everyone was partying in the gym, Nini and Ricky snuck backstage and started to unpack the spirit board and their equipment.

"Alright, we're really going through with this," Ricky said. "First question, is there a spirit here?"

As the two watched, wide-eyed, the piece on the board moved to "Yes."

"Do you have good intentions?" Nini asked.

The board moved to "No."

"Do you want to get revenge on someone?"

Yes.

"Should we leave?"

Yes.

They quickly transitioned it to "Goodbye" and closed the game. "Do you think the theater's going to be haunted?" Ricky asked.

"Depends," Nini shrugged. "Who knows? We'll just wait and see a few days more."

The theater was probably the inhabitance of the spirit for the rest of the year, and of course, our two lead characters got in detention. Again.

What'd y'all think? Did you laugh? This was partially inspired by @Catiebuggggy.

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V