another cinderella story

He was the prince, and she was the servant girl. No one knew who she was, and he was renowned throughout the country.

Your Cinderella story? Yes. Fairy godmother? No. Villainess? Yes. A determined heroine? Yes. A handsome prince? A show-stopping slipper? Yes. A happy ending? Read to find out.

Charlotte is played by Sabrina Carpenter. I know, ha, ironic.

England, 1856

"Kitchen girl! Clean those floors!"

"Your Majesty, I just cleaned them last night-"

"I don't care! Clean them again!"

"Kitchen girl! Heavens, you almost burnt my delicate tongue! This tea is too hot!"

"Yes, Your Majesty, I'll get you another cup."

Nini hates this.

She hates everything about her life. Her mother died. Her estranged father was dead. She was an orphan. So here she is, working as a servant for the Bowen royal family.

She hates them. The prissy queen, the deep-throated and demanding king, and the difficult princess.

One person she doesn't entirely hate is the prince, Richard. He is about the same age as her and had the same fascination with books.

She's admired him for a while, as he was the only member of the royals that didn't order her around and treat her like a scullery maid. But it is her job, though.

He was quiet and kind, although preferring to be in the library, nose-deep in a stack of books rather than at the large festivities the family threw every night.

-----Library-----

Nini groans as she scrubs the already-clean inch of the tiled marble floor. "Bloody hell, how did I even get here in the first place?"

It was a question she's always asked herself. She knows that she was born into it since her mom was a kitchen maid.

She heard a small chuckle from the corner of the room. A curly head poked out from behind a hard-bound copy of Hamlet.

Nini inwardly groaned. She hated to do this, but it was either formal, stuffy greetings or having a decapitated head.

"Oh, Your Royal Highness! Apologies, I'll return to my duties off scrubbing this floor that I already cleaned yesterday!"

She might've as well screamed the last part, since Ricky could hear the sarcasm dripping from her voice.

"I didn't know anyone was here," he said, amused. From the start, he could tell this girl was different. She wasn't like the other girls, saying whatever to please him and practically throwing themselves at him.

"How are you so quiet?" Nini exclaims.

"I'm not my sister, miss," the prince laughed. It was a small rumble that came from deep in his throat.

Princess Charlotte was Richard's twin sister, yet she was the complete opposite. She loved to party, drink, and socialize almost every night.

"Which reminds me, why are you here? Didn't you just say that you already swept the floor yesterday?"

"The work of a maid is never done," Nini said, sending him a fleeting smile and leaning on the broom. "Also, the Queen tells me to do it, and I'd rather be alive than have a decapitated head."