heaven is you

23-year-old Nini stared down at the stick in her hand. No, it couldn't be.

She was PREGNANT. How would Ricky react? Her heart raced a million beats.

"Honey, I'm home!" he called.

Nini hid the stick behind her back as she walked out of their bedroom to greet him. "Hey, Rick."

Ricky noticed something was wrong with his wife. "Nini? Why are you looking so worried?"

She pulled the stick from behind her back. "I'm pregnant, Ricky."

His face was set in stone for two terrifying seconds.

"So?" she asked weakly.

Ricky's face burst into a huge grin. He picked Nini up and spun her around. "We're having a baby!"

Nini laughed as he spun her around. Then he set her back in the ground. "Wouldn't want to disturb the baby," he said, patting her stomach.

"Just think, there's a mini version of us in there," Nini smiled.

"I can't wait to meet you," Ricky said to her stomach.

Every day after work, Ricky's attention was on his wife and the baby. He made sure that they received the best treatment. He made them dinner, he put on movies for them, (kid friendly, of course) and cared for them.

"In the future, we can take you anywhere. We'll teach you how to sing, how to play the guitar, and tell you embarrassing stories from high school," Ricky said to the baby inside his wife's stomach.

It was getting bigger, that was for sure.

By three months, they went to the doctor to see which gender the baby was.

"You're having a baby girl! Congratulations!" the doctor said.

They had a gender reveal party for all of their theater friends and their parents, who congratulated them immensely.

They received many tiny baby clothes, which Ricky and Nini had to find space for in their cramped house.

By five months, Nini's belly was completely swollen and she complained a lot about the baby kicking. She also cried a lot, but Ricky didn't let that irritate him. He knew it was just her hormones and tried his best to make her feel comfortable.

By six months, they'd decided on a name for her. Harper Kalani Bowen. Kalani was Nini's grandma's middle name too.

By nine months, Nini was taken to the hospital. Her parents, the theater kids, and everyone who knew her came to visit. Every day after 3:00 PM, Ricky would come home from work and stay by her side for hours. He'd fall asleep in the plastic chair next to her, dreaming about the adventures they would have with their baby.

One day, Ricky got a call from the hospital at his offices

"Is this Mr. Richard Bowen?" the voice on the other line asked.

"Yes," Ricky replied. 

"Your wife is giving birth right now," the voice said.

Ricky sprang up from his seat. "I'll be right there."

He grabbed his keys and sprinted to his car. He rushed to the hospital as quickly as he could and ran to her room.

"Nini!" he cried. Then he saw her. Nini's face was pale and she had trouble breathing.

"Are you alright?" he asked. No reply, just a small nod.

He saw her. The small, wailing baby in front of him. Ricky's heart melted.