forevermore waiting for you

10 years later...

      "This isn't working, Josh, okay?" Sabrina exclaimed as she struggled to carry her bags out. "Clearly, we can't handle living together. Let's just call it quits."

       Josh ran a hand through his curls. "Fine, then. I wish you the best of luck in life."

      With that, she left.

       Ever since the release of Driver's License, Josh's life had kind of been going down. The press figured out he was dating Sabrina Carpenter, and things got messy there. When fans started to speculate and go crazy, he couldn't blame them. He himself thought it was a publicity stunt that he was a part of, but it was reality.

        Now, he didn't get many more jobs. He did do minor work in some Italian food commercials.

        He groaned as he looked at the rent bill. She was his rock, the one person who kept him going all these years. He was sure she was doing so much better than him, with her multiple EPs and how happy she seemed.

      He always thought, someday, he would see her again.

     He was the fool in this equation. He'd wanted to wait for her, but then found a new girl. In their time together, they weren't perfect. They had their share of fights and arguments.

      I'll never shake away the pain
      I close my eyes but she's still there

"The king of the Festival of Fools is me," he said bitterly. "I shouldn't have let her go."

When he was younger, he'd been alone and single for eighteen years. He wanted someone to fill that empty void in his heart, the part that longed for romance and watched too many rom-coms.

I let her steal into my melancholy heart
It's more than I can bear.

I rage against the trials of love
I curse the fading of the light
Though she's already flown so far beyond my reach
She's never out of sight

He hated love. Love didn't exist. He played six instruments, but he'd stopped playing hearts when he lost her. She was the only person his heart was conjoined with. Hearts came with too many strings attached.

It wasn't up to him to stop her from her dreams. She'd flown so high while he was falling. But she was always ingrained in his mind, like an addiction he couldn't escape.

Sometimes, the thought of her made him calm or made him cry. Every day, he played her song on a loop to remind him of all he'd lost when he'd lost her.

He promised himself that he would wait. At night, he often had fantasies that she'd walk right up to his door. He missed her. More than she could ever know.

He dreamed of all the things that might've happened if they'd stayed together. Maybe they'd have kids, start a family, get a poodle.

Until then, he'd be waiting for her, forevermore.

Wasting in my lonely tower
Waiting by an open door
I'll fool myself she'll walk right in
And as the long long nights begin
I'll think of all that might have been
Waiting here forevermore.

Comments and votes are always appreciated!!

All the best,
A.D.