you look happier. you do.

Walking down 29th and park
I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier

Ricky dragged his feet in the snow, his hands in his pockets to keep from the cold. Walking along this path home always reminded him of her, their special place over the years. He could practically imagine her next to him, her cheery laughter and constant chatter warming him up.

He heard laughter behind him and turned to see her. His heart still stopped every time he saw her, although they'd been broken up for over a month now. To him, she'd always be his Nini.

Her cheeks were flushed from laughing, and for a split second, a smile appeared on his face. It immediately vanished when he saw the pair of arms she was wrapped around. She'd moved on, found someone new. Ricky knew for a fact that he didn't deserve her. No one did. Not even Ricky himself.

They continued walking and didn't even acknowledge the curly-haired boy, too wrapped up in their conversation. Ricky clenched his fists and nodded as the truth dawned on him. Maybe it was for the best.

Saw you walk inside a bar
He said something to make you laugh
I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah, you look happier, you do

Ricky gulped his third shot that night and looked around at the bar. Suddenly, his breath caught in his throat when he looked to the entrance.

Nini was giggling at a joke that Adam had made, both of them sitting across from Ricky on one of the stools, not even knowing he was there. She looked happier than she's ever been when she was with him.

The music began to play, and it was theatrical and Disney-like for a bar. Then again, it was owned by Carlos's uncle, and the love of musical theater ran in the family.

"You're in my arms, and all the world is calm, the music playing on for only two..."

Adam held out his hand and bowed. "Shall we?"

Nini smiled as she dipped into a curtsy and took his hand, her hands on his shoulders and his around her waist. Ricky felt a pang in his heart as he realized—this was their song. That was the way she used to look at him when they danced like he was the only person in the world.

He couldn't take it anymore and left, slapping the bills on the counter.

Ain't nobody hurt you as I hurt you
But ain't nobody loves you as I do
Promise that I will not take it personally, baby
If you're moving on with someone new

He'd hurt her by inadvertently telling her to stay with him forever and give up on her dream, and he knew she'd never forgiven him. However, there was no one else that would ever know...no one who'd ever love her the way that he did. She was moving on, that was a good thing, right? All he ever wanted was for her to be happier. Truly, he wished her all the best.

'Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Sure, after a few years, Ricky had moved to a small apartment in Harlem, New York. He knew it had always been Nini's dream for them to go to NYU and get a little place in Harlem and figure it out (he was unsure whether she was just quoting Hamilton or being serious).

He tried with all his might to move on. There were nights at the bars where he hooked up with random guys and girls, but they were all just one-night stands. None of them were Nini.

Sat on the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you
Nursing an empty bottle and telling myself you're happier
Aren't you?

After the alcohol had taken its effect, Ricky sat in the corner and looked around. Where he was, where he started, and his gaze landed on the framed photo on the table.

The all-too-familiar pain began to come back like a tidal wave

The all-too-familiar pain began to come back like a tidal wave. Ricky knew it was always just dreaming and wishful thinking, nothing more.

Every time he saw a young couple pass in the street, Ricky would wistfully smile and think of those days. Once, he'd been like them. He was a young, lovesick teenager. For now, he'd just be people-watching.

Ain't nobody hurt you as I hurt you
But ain't nobody needs you as I do
I know that others deserve you
But my darling, I am still in love with you

The truth was crystal clear, written in stone. It was plain and simple. He was still truly, madly, deeply, in love with her. Ricky had never stopped loving her.

But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Maybe, her heart still longed for him. Maybe when his arms were on her, she'd be fondly thinking of her past lover, the curly-haired boy she met in kindergarten who had never stopped loving her.

Lovers come and go. They break your heart, and no love story is perfect. Ricky hoped that maybe one day, she'd come back to him and they could have another try, better place, better time, even if it was just as friends.

Baby, you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new
But if he breaks your heart as lovers do
Just know that I'll be waiting here for you

-----

I am not okay. Anyway, how was y'all's day? Have you listened to People Watching yet?

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V