I Need You Here Part 1

Part 1/3

In the picture above it is supposed to be Eric before his execution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric's POV

I sit in a chair, defeated and barely alive.

If I didn't die from the tortures inflicted on me once I got captured, my life would end with one of the Dauntless killing me.

Either way, the future was clear, I was going to die and there was no getting out of it. 

Not this time.

Even if I tried to escape, where would I go? The Dauntless were most likely patrolling around the city to make sure no one got in or out without permission. And what if I did get out? What would happen then? I would die before I could reach Erudite because of my wounds.

But whatever would happen, I didn't care. I had no more reason to live. After Peter and I invaded Florence's house and took care of her father, we both went our separate ways. Peter went back to Tris and her friends while I went back to Erudite. But nothing felt...right. There was something missing and I knew it was due to the guilt I felt for what happened to Florence. Every day and every night, I go over what happened and tell myself that I could have changed the outcomes. I could have saved her. Could have saved her from her premature death. But of course, that doesn't help with anything. What is done is done and I no matter what I might want to do, I cannot go back in the past. No matter how much I want to.

My thoughts get interrupted when I hear shouting and loud footsteps of angry Dauntless storming towards where I am being held captive. This is it, I think, my last battle

The thought brings a smile to my face. My suffering will soon come to an end at the hands of my own faction that I never considered mine. They will be the one to take me out of my misery. For them, they probably think that is the biggest punishment of all, death. Me? They are doing what I was too afraid to do myself. They are saving me.

The noise gets louder and before I know it, the doors to the room where I am being held slam open and the Dauntless enter. I hear people muttering insults under their breath, others voicing their thoughts about me loud and clear to make sure I hear. One of the even spits in my direction and it lands on my shoe. In any other situation, I would have reacted to this. But right now, I couldn't - wouldn't - bring myself to care. I keep my head low and my shoulders slouched the whole time, even when Four, or should I say Tobias, steps in front of me. Slowly, I raise my gaze from my feet to the boy who I had trained with ever since I came into Dauntless, my smile never disappearing from my face. Beside him stands a woman, Tori if I'm not mistaken. She did several of my tattoos. Many of which I wish I could make disappear. 

"Would you like me to tell you your crimes? Or would you like to list them yourself?" She says, crossing her arms.

I don't say anything for now, I just scan the room to see who's around me. All of them are Dauntless, wearing all black as they hold poorly made luggage. They were probably planning on leaving. Where? I had no idea.

Then my eyes stop on Tris, the stupid Divergent girl who doesn't seem to want to die no matter what happens. She'd be perfect for Jeanine's tests. My eyes leave her face and trail down and that's when I realize she's wearing a Dauntless "traitor" jacket, as they call it. If that was meant to intimidate me, she failed miserably.

An idea pops into my head as I stare at her. "I'd like her to list them. Since she's the one who stabbed me, clearly she is familiar with them." If I wasn't tied down, I'd probably shoot her right now. She sabotaged so many plans I had helped put into place, ruined so many attempts to make this world a better place. I absolutely hated her.