[6] The day

"Thoma?" You called out. He turned around while sticking a dango in his mouth.

He looks at you trying to push down the little hat you had gotten a little while ago before leaving city.

"Hm?" huffing out and letting out a groan, you placed a hand on your hip rolling your eyes.

You kicked around a rock you found and looked up at the blondes back, "how long till we get to wherever you're taking me?" you were starting to get hungry.

Thoma turned around and looked around before settling his gaze on you, the corners of his lips resting in a smirk.

"What? You tired already?" he saw you shake your head and crossed his arms over his chest, "you hungry then?" and at that he noticed a small awkward smile settle on your lips.

It hasn't been long since you two left the city but he smiled at the thought that you still act the same. Always hungry, huh?

"Alright! Let's go find a camp and find something to eat, how that sound?"

Your awkward smile had turned into a huge grin and nodded with determination, "good! let's go by a river so we capture some fish." you ran from him to go search.

After some time you finally spotted the river and saw the fishes swimming around. You always hated it but you were getting hungry, "sorry little guys."

You muttered curses to yourself when a fish slipped from your hands when you tried capturing one. A coming from Thoma made you furrow your brows.

You tried after a third try and managed to catch two and before you were going to hang the ends with a string, you saw Thoma holding five.

Ever since you two were little it was always a competition between you guys. Of course he knew this when he had caught three more than you, knowing it would rile you up.

Huffing when you tied the string to the tails you walked passed him and to the camp you spotted.

"Only caught two?" His smug expression made you want to punch him but you ignored him, settling to start the fire but Thoma beat you to it.

He used his pyro element underneath the black pot, you huffed and grabbed a small wooden bucket to head back over to the river to grab some water.

When you came back after some short moments you saw the blonde frying the fish he caught on a long stick, hovering over the pot before turning them.

"Do you want one?"

"Maybe later," you sat down near him and poured the water in the pot, "I'm going to make spicy boiled fish." you turned to face him and smirked when he had his brows furrowed.

"How? We don't have spices with us.." he started but paused when he was watching you pull out your own spices from your bag, "right, of course you would."

"It's nothing bad carrying spices along." you were a fan of spicy food but not all the time.

The blonde laughed and continued frying his fish, careful of not trying to get in your way of you cooking your own food.

__

Taking a last bite out of your food you released a satisfied sigh and closed your eyes for a few seconds.

Thoma had already finished up with his food first and went to walk around the area before coming back to you.

He stops in his tracks seeing that your eyes closed, and feeling a bit selfish, he wishes he could embrace you. He bit down his bottom lip gently and sighed.

The interaction he had with you about telling you that you shouldn't get more involved in other ways, he feels guilt and something else he couldn't put into words.

"You ready to go? We still haven't reached the area I'm taking you." The sound of his voice coming from behind you as you slowly open your eyes.

You only nodded and got up with a stretch, "will you tell me where we're going?" he shakes his head and walked ahead of you to clean up.

Humming and placing a hand underneath his chin, he thinks whether or not to say anything.

"Maybe, if you can keep up with me." With that, he gathers his things and begins walking off.

"Can you wait up?" He laughs at your irritated tone and continues without realizing he's slowing down for you.

You ran up to him and let out a exhaled when you began walking side by side.

It was only just half an hour that you left the camp when you felt raindrops fall on your face.

"Okay, now I feel annoying to ask again but, ARE WE THERE YET?"

By the way you raised your voice a little, startling the blonde at your side, he had his eyes widened but he pursed his lips. Glancing to the side he slightly nodded.

"Yeah but about that..." he pointed ahead of him and noticed a few hilichurls coming your way making you more annoyed.

Without telling him what you were going to do, you ran up to the enemies and took out your polearm that was hooked to your bag and made way through the hilichurls.

With only hitting them two times you looked back seeing Thoma's mouth parted. "You didn't leave any for me!" You barked out a laugh and put your weapon away.

Thoma had rushed up to get to you and placed a hand on your shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"You were too slow." Feeling smug, you hummed to yourself with your chin tipped up and a grin on your face and walked.

His eyes bore into the back of your head as he shivered when the rain was starting to come down now.

There was now houses coming into view and since it was slightly dark to tell where this place was, you had to squint but the blonde was at your side.

"Do you recognize this place?"

You shrugged but you furrowed your brows,

"Not really? Should I know where we are?"

He looked your way from the corner of his eye and crossed his arms over his chest.

"It's where we grew up, Y/N."

...

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE NGL I HAD TROUBLE W THIS CH BUT

WE'RE NOW GOING TO SEE MORE BACKSTORY OF YOU & THOMA

but honestly who is ready for baal and sara 👀