Chapter 3

Kalon.

"It means beauty that is more than skin deep. I have always struggled to see the beauty within myself. It's harder than what people make it out to be. Wouldn't you agree?"

You say nothing in return and just continue to read the words which litter my page.

"While you were gone I saw a creature with such beauty. It was unfettered and free. I yearned to know the secret behind possessing such beauty."

You stare back at me curiously.

"I caught the creature and carefully lay it on the ground. I started poking at it for hours until I could find it's secret."

The clouds start turning grey as I continue telling you what had happened.

"I examined it closely, always wanting to see more. Slowly I started to notice golden blood across the ground. So I rushed to find the creatures heartbeat but I was met with silence."

Small raindrops start falling from the sky.

"I had then realized the creatures beauty was not a secret hidden in such depths but  was easier to see than I had originally thought."

Small hiccups leave my mouth as I attempt to explain further. Your so quiet and it hurts me.

"The beauty was in living. I was enthralled by how joyfully the creature lived. But in wanting to find its beauty I had obliviously taken it away."

The rain falls hard now and I feel a rush of coldness cover my body. I start trembling and I'm not sure what to do. So in my moment of distress I gaze up at you. Your eyes never leaving mine. In that moment I feel the warmth of your heart.

You say something but I'm unable to hear you. So instead of talking further you smile. A reassuring smile. A smile that tells me everything's going to be okay.

So I get up from the bench and smile back at you. The sky clears as my whole mind is filled with images of you.

Relieved, I say goodbye, as you close the book knowing well that I'll be just fine.