Parents And Kids At The Mall

Sundays at the mall,

I always have a lot of fun sitting on the bench with my dad watching all the shoppers get there goodies. 

Yesterday there were lots of parents who brought there energetic kids with them. 

The little girl with the bobbed hairstyle tore off the plastic sign. 

Her curious fingers feeling the soft, cool object in her hand. 

Her guardian seen her just as she ripped it off and said something I could not make out,

The girl smiled the smile we all have done when we have been caught doing something we did not know was bad.

I recognize the look all too well, the curious mind often leads to a lecture, a scolding.

She held it only for a few moments and then losing interest put it back in place perfectly.

I seen the face of a worried father who thought he lost his son.

I imagine the fear left him with a paralyzing cold. 

His mind was gone in that dreaded land of worry for a few moments but then he ran out of the mall,

Returning a minute later with a toddler smiling and blowing spit bubbles.

The son was talking a language only his young mind understood.

Happy and waving to all who passed by,

I waved back smiling trying to hold back the laugh that wanted to come out.

The young son could not of been happier if he had just won the Olympics and was waving to all his fans.

The poor dad's expression was relieved but tired.

No doubt he did not get much sleep lately, 

The dark circles around his eyes gave it away.

Then there was Isaac,

I know his name because his mom must have said "Issac come here" at least 20 times every minute for about 10 minutes.

Isaac never came to her once, 

Instead Issac hid behind the clothes, found something quite gross in the trash can ( of course that he wanted to keep)  and nearly ran over the girl that was curious about the plastic sign I mentioned earlier.

This is what calmed Isaac down, ah yes another kid will do that.

All the times Isaac's mom had called for him he had a deaf ear, 

What I like to think of as Selective hearing.

One time the girl with the bobbed hairstyle told Isaac "Go to your mama" and he went immediately.

The shocked looked on Isaac's mom face was priceless. 

She picked Isaac up and put him in the shopping cart and they went on there way to the back of the store.

Just as my parents were ready to leave a young couple with there bundle of joy that could not of been more than six months old walked into the store.

The baby was screaming and wiggling trying to escape the buckles that bound it to the seat.

My dad grabbed his walker and always a man who knows just the right thing to say walks up to the parents and says "Glad that its yours and not mine"

I just smile and blush as I follow him out the door.