Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Shh. It's okay, Rose. I'm here, it's alright." I heard Alex try and calm her down.

Alex saw me in the doorway and slowly moved him and Rose out of the room, out into the corridor.

"He's not gone. It's impossible." Rose whispered as she hugged Alex even tighter - if that was humanly possible.

Alex was looking like he was lost for words. Not that he had to say anything, really. He just needs to be there for her.

"I-I should go check up on Mum." He stuttered as he loosened his grip on her.

She nodded. "Yeah. See if she's okay for me."

She turned to me after watching Alex walk into the waiting room and she didn't need to say anything to me. I was already there for her, wrapping my arms around her while she broke down in tears once again.

"I didn't even get to say that I loved him back. He'd said it, then just as I was about to respond, he's gone." She told me between sobs. "I didn't say it back."

I started to rub circles in her back. "He knows you love him very much, Rosie."

"But I just wanted him to hear it from me one last time."

"You can always tell him. He's still with us."

"You're right." She sighed, relaxing in my arms. "Thanks for being here."

"Anytime, Rosie."

She pulls away a little bit, but not too far that I still can't have my arms around her.

"So...I know that I should possibly be with my mum, but is it possible for us to get out of here? I don't want to be-" I cut her off.

"Yeah, of course. Where did you want to go?" I asked.

"I don't mind."

"We can go to my place for dinner?"

"You don't cook."

"I can try."

She gives me a look that says 'I don't believe you at all'.

I laughed. "Okay, I'm kidding. Mum's actually making roast chicken."

Her face lights up a little. "I haven't had that in ages."

"Great. Did you have your bag with you or anything?"

"It's alright. I'll just text Jess to grab it off of Alex for me."

"Alrighty then. Let's go."

Rose was awfully quiet during the ride to my place. However, I couldn't exactly blame her either. When we got inside my house, you could smell the roast instantly.

"Hey, Mum." I greeted her as we walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, sweetie. Hello, Rose." She replied happily.

"Hi, Jocelyn." Rose said to her, flashing a small smile.

That was when Sara came running into the room.

"Rosie's here!" She exclaimed as she wrapped her arms Rose tightly. "Can you come play with me, Rosie?"

"I'd love to." Rose answered.

Sara broke out into a huge smile. "Yay! Let's go!"

And with that, she pulled Rose upstairs and out of sight.

"So..." My mum started. "How's Phil doing?"

"He's...not with us anymore." I answered sadly as I leaned against the island bench.