Chapter 12

Can love be above all?

Chike's POV

I wouldn't deny how much I had loved Sarah. She was everything I could have asked for but I  just couldn't comprehend the way my heart beats for Tomi. Tomi was special and I hate the fact I let her slip out of my hands so easily. I should have fought for her. I can't blame her since she has always been depressed most times and sometimes I try my best to be there for her but I guess my best was never enough. She was a stubborn type of girl and always wanted to get what she wants even when the universe plays a game on her. She had lost faith in everything and believed in making it out of her shell forcefully.

The first time I met Tomi was when she was wiping away her tears underneath the love garden close to MBA. I couldn't explain what had happened to her. She was far away from my department. Well, I hadn't known yet at the time that we were studying same course. She looked shattered after that call she had made and I really wanted to console her but you know how it is sometimes when a stranger approaches you and it's taken the other way round. So I walk away but not completely. I always wished to see her again not until Sarah formally introduced me to her as her new friend on a Wednesday after a full class. I was so happy deep down to finally see the girl that had took over my mind but I didn't know or could explain how my feelings grew to an affection. I really don't want to lose her.

"Tomi...." I called out to her, stopping her from walking further.

"There's no need to explain, Chike. I don't care to know. I'm past. We are done so whatever you do isn't my business." She turns to face me, giving a straight face.

"Then why are you here?" I questioned. She wasn't even giving me the chance to fight for her.

"Because I still care for you. I'm not inhuman to not at least check on you."

"You care for me? You got me in this state in the first place. You don't know what I had to go through during the weeks that passed. If you at least cared for me. You wouldn't walk away from me like this with some stupid excuse. Why? Am I not good enough for you?" I say, catching my breath.

"I am not good enough for you, Chike. You don't want to go down this path. Trust me. I'm sorry for letting it turn out this way but we can't be together. Not anymore." And she walked out again from my life and this time I knew there was no way or chance I could have her back. She was gone.

*********
Tomi's POV

I had to walk away. I couldn't continue or go on with such relationship that only love mattered. It's called a useless relationship. Who still dates on love really? He can't even care for my need and neither can I on his. Such relationship is just a waste of time. It's better not to be in one that to be in one with nothing to show forth. Just as I was finally out of his estate. My phone beeped showing me an alert of 50 thousand naira with an apology message on it. Okay, I'm dreaming.