Chapter 19

3rd person's PoV (3 years later)

  The beach at Camp Half-Blood was beautiful at midnight. The remains of a campfire smoldered near their feet. Reyna and Nico cuddled together in an indentation in the soft powdery sand. A wall of shadow obscured them from sight. Reyna looked up into her boyfriend's face, gently framed by moonlight, "This is fun." she admitted lying back against his chest again. "Yeah." he replied. Reyna narrowed her eyes in the semi-darkness, despite Nico's best efforts, she detected a trace of uneasiness in his voice. Her mind wandered back over the past week and she realised that Nico had been acting strange and jumpy all week. Well more strange and jumpy than normal. She looked up into her boyfriend's eyes, trying to read something behind those shining dark orbs. And what she saw shocked her to her core. A flicker of movement caught her eye, Nico's hand had flickered towards the pocket of his leather jacket . Doing her best to conceal the well-spring of happiness, she lay back against his chest, her eyes shining.

  "Wanna take a stroll?" Nico said a while later. Reyna smiled and allowed Nico to help her to her feet. The moonlight danced on the shore, sparkling in the tiny crystal powder they walked on. The lake glistened as the silver reflected off it. They walked in silence for a while, then Nico spoke. "Beautiful night." he said. "Yeah, it is." Reyna replied. "Well let me make it better." he smiled, then releasing Reyna's hand he dropped to one knee, his face breaking into the biggest smile Reyna had ever seen on his face. "Rey, I love you. It's been 8 years since we met, and they've been the best years of my life. We've had our ups and downs and I wouldn't change a single thing about it..." He reached into his pocket and froze, then reached deeper in trying to find something. "Uh..." he stammered. "gimme a sec." He thrust his hand into his other jacket pocket, a flash of panic flickering behind his eyes.

  "Looking for this?" Reyna said. She held up her hand, a ring of silver with a single dark blue diamond glinting in the moonlight on her finger. Around the ring, carved into the silver in shimmering letters, "Partners In Crime".

  "You swiped my ring?" Nico spluttered "I thought it was my ring now?" she smirked. Nico grinned and rose to his feet. "This mean you'll marry me?" he whispered, gently pulling her close. "Well duh." she replied. Nico let out a laugh and kissed her, filling the embrace with such passion that he swept Reyna off her feet.

  And it was just about the most amazing moonlit kiss of all time.