Chapter 1

3rd person's POV

  The room was dark, lit only by a feeble glimmer of moonlight sifting through the closed window. A well maintained set of roman imperial gold armour lay next to a neat desk and next to that an equally orderly dresser. Then, a beam of light sliced into the darkness as the door opened. Reyna sat down hard. She never thought this day would come, she had just resigned during the bi-annual inter-camp visit. After 6 long and arduous years of leadership, she was finally free. No longer was she Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano, brave, strong, indomitable Praetor of the Twelfth Legion Fulminata. Finally, she had release, she could be Reyna, just Reyna.

  A light glimmered on, bathing the guest room in the Big House of Camp Half-Blood with warm light. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, allowing the reality of her situation to wash over her, along with all the secret desires and wishes she had had over the past several years. As praetor she could never have done any of these, she could barely leave Camp Jupiter as it was. After years of service to the legion, it was time she got to have some time to do what she wanted, and not what other people expected of her.