Chapter 16

Reyna's PoV

  "How'd you find me so fast?" I asked without turning around. "You're easy to track in places of death, this school was built over a battlefield. Plus I know that couple on the patio." I sighed and nodded to show I'd heard him. He lent against the arm of the bridge next to me, putting enough space between us to remain respectful yet not distant, both of us staring straight ahead across the moonlit garden. "So why do you say we'd never be together?" he asked without turning his head. His tone was surprisingly gentle, without a trace of anger or resentment. I sighed, "Neeks, you know about my curse. Anything between us can't end in anything but broken hearts for the both of us." "I know," he paused, then continued. "but maybe you don't need to let your fear of this curse control you." I felt him turn to face me. "I mean look at me, a child of the death god, displaced out of his own century, actually accepted by the people around me. Hades is honestly one of the only Olympian who actually keeps in touch with his kids. He's supposed to be a creep but he actually does his best for his children." "Can't say the same for my mother." I replied with a bitter laugh. Another tear stung my eyes, Bellona had never actually visited me. Throughout my 21 years of life, the closest I'd ever felt to her was when she'd helped me defeat Orion. After that, never again. My angry thoughts were shaken from my head as I felt Nico embrace me from behind. "And I'm sorry about that. But we need to live the life we write for ourselves, not the ones the Fates ordain for us." he said comfortingly.

  For a few minutes, we stayed like that, his head nestled on my shoulder, just enjoying the warmth of each other's presence. Then Nico broke the silence, "You know, the last time I was at a school dance was 11 years ago. Bianca and I were at Westover Hall. Percy, Thalia, Annabeth and the hunters saved us from a manticore." His voice caught on the word 'hunters'. "I blamed Percy for her death, but after a few years I began to blame myself." He trailed off. "You're still the only person that I've ever talked to about her." he managed a minute later. "Well you're the only person who's seen the true me, the me I've been suppressing for the past 6 years. The me that's... finally gotten to live this past week." I replied with a sigh. There was a moment of silence before I continued, "You're also still the only person who knows..." I took a deep breath of cold wintery air, "knows that I killed my dad."

  I felt Nico's grip tighten slightly around my waist. "Rey, you didn't kill your father. You know that." he said softly. "And you didn't kill your sister, you know that." I replied. There was another pause before he asked, "Why is it we can be so vulnerable with each other?" I turned around in his embrace, so now that I was facing him in the centre of the bridge, Nico's hands still resting on my hips. As I gazed into his face, moonlight dancing over his long fringe and startling black eyes, the love and passion I felt for this boy overflowed and the words escaped my lips before I could stop them. "Because I love you Nico Di Angelo."