Chapter 15

Reyna's PoV

  I looped my arms around Nico's neck as he placed his hands on my waist. He pulled me close to him as we swayed to the music. I gazed into his dark black eyes, behind which was hidden a soul which had endured more than any mortal could have understood. Losing his mother, losing over 70 years of his life in the Lotus hotel, waking up only to lose his sister, the only family he had left besides his father. His emotional, psychological and even partial physical rejection from both demigod camps due to his status as a child of the god of the underworld. Facing tartarus alone, his capture by Ephialtes and Otis, and his week of imprisonment in the bronze jar. And despite all his hardships, he had persevered and grown to become the sweet, caring, loyal, loving man before me.

  I faced the facts, I was madly in love with Nico Di Angelo. And I knew by the look on his face and all the years we'd spent together, that he was equally in love with me.

  But... the curse of Aphrodite. If I loved him how could I lead him on, knowing that my curse would never let us be happy together. Resting my head on his shoulder-bone, I sighed knowing what I must do. The week that I'd spent with Nico gallivanting around the world had been the best of my entire life, I knew that for sure, but good things had to come to an end. I looked into his eyes again and felt that rush of sorrow that we wouldn't be able to be anything more than best friends. I took a deep breath and steeled myself to say what I must say. "I'm sorry Nico, but I can't- I can't lead you on anymore." Before he could respond, I kissed him on the cheek, turned and disappeared into the crowd. "Reyna, wait!" I heard him call me as I pushed through the bodies of people, the sorrow in my heart matched only by that in his call.

  Stumbling blindly, I found myself in the school garden. I walked down a path and past an elaborate patio. A boy and a girl of about my age were standing inside, close in embrace, their lips connected. The girl seemed to be holding some kind of staff and the boy had a strange sword strapped to his back. But the steamy tears that sprang to my eyes at the sight of them, something I would never be able to enjoy, made it difficult to see clearly. I stumbled past, and found myself on a small stone bridge overlooking a small fountain which flowed down and snaked under the bridge. The fountain was a sculpture of frozen beauty. "Dammit." I thought, I hadn't taken my parka. I lent against the stone arm and wiped the few tears I had away on the back of my hand. A cold draft bit at my exposed neck and I shivered.

  As if in response, I felt a fur collar brush my neck, followed by the rest of my coat being wrapped gently around my shoulders.