34

34
ELODIE MAY

"Elodie?" I turn around and see Susan walking into the back of the bakery.

"Yes?" I smile but she gives me a cautious look.

"I'm worried for your safety. Every time you're out front that man who's been sat in the corner since the start of your shift doesn't stop staring. Should I call the police?" I laugh at her words.

"It's okay, Susan. That's my boyfriend." I tell her and her eyes widen.

"B-But I thought that other man — do you know what, I don't want to know. You young people are something else but as long as you're happy." She lightly shakes her head, a small smile on her face.

I walk out to the front and watch as Killian stands up from his chair and makes his way towards me.

"Killian, you've been here my whole shift." I whisper, reaching forward to stroke his cheek.

I smile gently when he leans into my touch.

"I just want to be with you today." I raise my eyebrows at him and he sighs. "I want to keep you safe." I nod my head at his honesty, deciding there's no point in arguing with him.

"Okay, well I finish in twenty minutes." He nods his head and grabs hold of my hand, placing a small kiss on the back of it.

"I love you." He whispers and I grin. "And I fucking love this dress on you." He groans, looking my body up and down which is clad in a lilac midi dress with cute yellow flowers.

"And I love you." I ruffle his hair and go back to work.

As soon as my shift comes to an end I grab my belongings and bid Susan a farewell. Killian doesn't hesitate to grab my hand and leads us out of the bakery.

"I'm so tired." I whine when we get into his car.

"I know, baby. I'll run you a bath when we get back home." Killian tells me and I nod my head before looking out the window.

Killian's phone begins to ring and he answers it, his eyebrows instantly furrowing.

"Gabriel, what are you talking about?" He questions, his voice filled with annoyance. "Fine." He hangs up and then throws me an apologetic smile.

"What's wrong?" I whisper, beginning to feel worried.

"Enzo needs us at the club." I bite my lip.

"Is he okay?"

"Yes baby." Killian smiles but I don't believe him.

Somethings up.

•••

"Katie has footage of us — that camera that you saw, Elodie, was from her. She's blackmailing us with it, it's not good." My heart falls at Enzo's words.

"But how did it get there?!" I throw my arms up in the air and Enzo begins to look guilty and my face drops further. "You didn't check the room after you left Katie?"

"I'm sorry, Elodie." He whispers, looking down at the floor.

"You keep lying to me." I point out and his head shoots up and he looks at me with wide eyes. "Why?"

"Darling-"

"You told me you checked that room throughly but you didn't check it at all." I say, my voice filled with hurt. "I put my trust into you and now look at the situation we're in." I sigh, running my hands through my hair stressfully.