chapter 71

Victoria’s pov

I woke the next day to harsh sunlight hitting my face. I was rested but my body felt like it had been hit by a truck.

I stretched and reached my arm out for Phillip’s warm body, needing his comforting warmth but the bed next to me was empty apart from a small note on his pillow.

“ gone to work, call me when you wake up.” It said simply.

I picked up my phone and checked the time as I dialed his number, it was almost 11am! I normally never slept this late.

“ morning sleeping beauty!’ he answered, his voice happy but strained.

“ morning yourself, it’s the most depressing thing to do, wake up in an empty bed on our honeymoon.” I said, a little more irritated than I liked. I had intended to tease him except now it sounded like I was whining.

“ im sorry my love, but you looked so peaceful sleeping this morning I didn’t want to wake you, and its been an exhausting few days for you, you needed the rest,”

“ what about you? Don’t you get tired and need rest?”

“ I would never get tired of you, and if I had stayed in that bed you wouldn’t be resting.”

I felt that now familiar tug in my core and tingling between my legs.

“ I wouldn’t mind that.” I said, my voice husky with desire.

‘ babe don’t tempt me, I’d be there in a moment, but it’s a shitstorm here and I’m just about ready to murder my cousin.”

“ what’s happened?”

‘ Tell you when I get back this afternoon. We were supposed to have dinner at the resort tonight. Hosted by my good for nothing cousin.’ He said the last part like he was eating something distasteful. “ but after today we are more likey to attend his funeral.

But dont yuu worry about that, today you have today to relax, maybe go to the spa and get a massage, charge it to the room.  And eat something ok? I have asked one of the hotel staff to stay with you today. Her name is Akenisi.”

The last part was more like an order than a request, but then again food had not been high on the list of priorities over the past few days.

After the call and lay in bed a little longer, hugging the pillow he had slept on, his musky scent lingered on it and a wondered how I had gotten so lucky, but also sad that even on this trip he had left me to attend to work.
Even though I knew we had come here because of his work, I wondered if there was ever going to be a time where we would be able to spend time together without any distractions but I had to accept the sad truth.

Before he was married to me he was married to his work.

I finally decided to get moving so after a shower I called my parents.

My heart leapt with happiness as I heard Papa gush over the puppy – now called Raja, and how he had been smashing his daily step targets with the active new puppy.

Even Mumma had gotten on board and was getting more active, even conceding to let Raja sleep on the bed, even though she referred to it as ‘ that kutta’ .

 She was also full of praise for Andrea who apparently was a miracle worker although her words were like a bit of a bitter tonic for me.
In just a few days I had been replaced by a dog and an employee.

Simmi on the other hand was her usual loud self as I video called her and gave her a walk around of the villa. It was also the first time I had properly seen the place. Most of my time here over the past few days had been spent on the sunbed or the bedroom and the memories had me blushing deep red.