Chapter 13: Dinner

Start from the beginning

"That's fine," I answered. "Just make it quick. Dinner will be ready soon."

Maverick nodded, and ran to the nearest bathroom. Luckily, every bathroom in the beach house has a bathroom with a bathtub in it, so Maverick didn't waste any time trying to find a shower. He closed the bathroom door (the bathroom that Slider fell asleep in, to be exact), and I went back to minding my own business with dinner.

The very moment I removed the pork chops from the grill was when Maverick finished his shower. Now, he didn't smell, and he looked cleaner. And even more handsome. He was now ready for the date.

I set the table outside, using the porch table. I placed a vase of flowers in the center, and placed the food, silverware, and wine across the table. Once the table was set and ready, I called Maverick over for dinner.

I had some relaxing love music playing in the background. Maverick found where we were having dinner and sat himself down on a chair. I sat across from him. Maverick stared down at the pork chops and smiled.

"Wow! These look delicious!" He exclaimed, grabbing a chop from the plate. I said "Thanks!" as I grabbed mine. I scooped some pasta and peas and dumped them on my plate, and so did Maverick. He then reached for the spaghetti sauce and poured a meager amount on his pasta. I, however, devoured my pasta in spaghetti sauce.

"Oh my!" Maverick was shocked at how my plate of food was made. "You must really like sauce!"

"I do..." I blushed.

(Alrighty guys. I'm going to watch the dinner scene in Top Gun so I can get the gist of what's going to happen in this chapter. This means that I'm going to see Maverick hitting on Charlotte for probably the millionth time in my life. Like I probably told some of y'all, Maverick and Charlotte's love story makes me sick, so if I don't come back... oof :( )
(Result: I'm fine, somehow. But I freaking hate you Charlie (kinda))

We were eating in silence for a bit until Maverick spoke up.

"So... is this a going-away dinner? Why did you invite me over?" He asked.

Great. We have to start our conversation like this....

"Umm... that and some other reason," I replied. "So, uh, can I—can I tell you something?"

I suddenly thought of what Goose told me to do: tell Maverick the truth on what happened with Charlie. I guess I should try, but I was nervous. However, I couldn't live with a secret like this any longer. I HAVE to tell the truth.

"You can. What is it you wanna tell me?"

"Well, I was talking with Goose a few nights ago, and I had to tell him what actually happened with Charlotte and her car breaking down. I, um... I did it."

I hoped and prayed that Maverick wasn't going to get angry at me. But no. I soon saw Maverick's happy expression fade to an angry, infuriated expression. He looked like he was going to riot.

"Maddie? Did I just hear you right? You... did THAT?!?! You broke the tires off my fiancé's car and nearly killed her and caused her to go to the hospital and—"

"MAVERICK! ICEMAN made me! Please, it wasn't my fault!" I tried my best not to start crying.

Maverick tried to calm down a little, but he still looked irritated. "You sure about that?" He asked, scooping some noodles into his mouth.

"Maverick! I'm sure!" I felt the sorrow fill up in myself, but I still tried my best not to cry. "Iceman told me if I wanted you to fall in love with me, I had to make Charlotte die so you wouldn't have another choice but to take me! I fell for it because I was afraid of saying no. It's my pet peeve. I can never say no to anyone..."