CHAPTER I

It was midday and it was a very busy day.

All kinds of alien hybrids waiting for their food. I was running around, trying my best to get the food to the right table as fast as possible. I hear Mrs. Dunwiddle calling about her purp juice.
I have worked here for almost 1 and a half years and this is one of the busiest days I've ever witnessed. I couldn't figure out how Sarah managed it when I wasn't there.

And of course Jim was out like every other day.

I had just picked up what felt like the 50th meal that day. A bowl of zorellian jelly worms, powdered spheroids and a plate of lunar eclipses. I crossed between tables balancing plates and bowls in my hands and on my arms.

I pass Sarah wiping down some tables. I walk over to the small family sitting at one of the round tables. "There we go, that's four powdered spheroids..." I put it down in front of the small boy and shoved the plate to his father in disgust. "Two lunareclipses," I continued, setting down another plate. "And a big bowl of zorellian jelly worms," I manage a small grin and set down the bowl of squirming worms in front of the kid. "For the big boy!"

"Awesome!" He says, completely ignoring the utensils displayed on the table and starts digging in with his hands.

"Enjoy your meal." I say with a small smile, hiding my disgust.

I walk over to Sarah and take the dishes from her hands. "Go serve the others instead. I got this." I wink playfully at her and she smiles gratefully and walks over to serve Delbert. I pick up the rest of the dishes from the table and wipe off the surface. I put my back against the swing door and push it open and put the dishes on the counter and walk back out again. After serving and talking to some more people, the door was suddenly slammed open and everyone's head snapped over to look. Sarah dropped the dishes she was holding and they crashed against the floor.

"Jim!" She half gasped, half shouted. There in the doorway stood two robo cops with a flustered looking Jim. As Sarah rushes forward I quickly follow.

Jim nervously clears his throat brushing off the robocops hand. "Okay, thanks for the lift guys."

As fast as he takes a step forward he is pulled back by one of the robocops putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Not so fast," he says in a robotic voice. "We apprehended your son operating a solar vehicle in a restricted area."

"Moving violation 9-0-4... Section 15. Paragraph... um..." the cop trails off.

"Six," I hear Jim mumble, scratching his cheek looking to the side avoiding both mine and Sarah's gaze.

"Thank you," the cop says, nodding slightly at Jim.

"Don't mention it," Jim sighs and looks over at me shocked when he found out that I was already looking at him.

"Jim!" Sarah suddenly exclaims, mow out of her previously shocked state. He looks over at her with an apologetic look before looking down at the floor again, ashamed.

"As you are aware ma'am, this constitutes a violation of his probation."

"Yes, yes! No I understand," Sarah sputters out, "um, but could we just—"

"Um... Ahem!" I look over at Delbert as he clears his throat and stands up from his chair. "Pardon me, officers, if I might, uh, interject here." Delbert walks over and stands on the opposite side of Sarah. "I am the noted astrophysicist Dr. Delbert Doppler. Perhaps you've heard of me?" There was a moment of silence and I pinched the bridge of my nose. "No? Uh, I have a clipping."

"Are you the boy's father?" The officer on the right demands, pointing at Delbert.

"Oh! Good heavens, no!" Delbert stutters.

"Ew!" Sarah quickly replies, making me have to stifle a laugh. "He's just an old family friend!"

"Then back off, sir!" Both cops lean forward to yell at Delbert, making him back away with his arms raised in a defensive pose.

"Thank you Delbert. I'll take it from here!" Sarah intervenes, and while she's distracted the robo cop then looks over at me. "Are you a relative?"

I put my hands up and shake my head. "No, no. Just another friend."

I smile awkwardly and they soon turn their attention back to Sarah.

"Due to repeated violations of statute 15-C... we have impounded his vehicle. Any more slip-ups will readily result in a one way ticket to juvenile hall." The cop on the left states.

"Kiddie hoose gow." The cop pushes Jim to Sarah.

"The slammo." The other one says.

"Thank you, officers." She looks over at Jim with a hard gaze, "it won't happen again."

"We see his type all the time, ma'am." The left one says.

"Wrong choices,"

"Dead-enders,"

"Losers." They end in unison, while Jim scowls at them.

"Take care now," the right one raises his hat up and down as they start rolling out the door. I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. He looks to the side, avoiding his mother's eyes. I turn around to see the customers frozen in place. I spread my arms silently as if saying 'what are you looking at?'. They all resumed talking and eating.

"Jim, I have had it." She scowls while waving around her hands. "Do you want to go to juvenile hall? Is that it?"

He turns away and starts to gather up the dirty plates from the table next to him, putting them in a tub. He avoids looking at Sarah the best he can. I walk into the kitchen to avoid all the family drama. I walk over to the dishes. I look down at my gloved hands and sigh. With shaking hands I slowly start to take off the gloves. But just as my hands touch the glove, the door is opened and Jim walks in. I slightly shake my head and try to focus on the task in front of me. Jim walks up to me and puts the tub on the counter and sighs. I didn't know what to say so I just stayed quiet. I could feel the tension in the air and I turned my head to look at him.

"You probably looked really cool doing those tricks." I said in hope of cheering him up. I heard him chuckle slightly and he slightly turned his head to look at me. "Thanks." He said with a gentle smile.

"I have to go help Sarah. Can you handle the dishes?" I looked him in the eyes. He nodded. And as I walked out I couldn't help but start wondering.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

If only you'd talk to me Jim...