Chapter 22

The air was cold outside, the walkways were a little slippery.

I didn't care, I continued to run.

I looked for the nearest hospital, about three blocks down.

Continuing to run I made sure to check Kotori constantly.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She would wince every few seconds though.

"Just hang on, we're almost there." 

I remember walking in and telling the lady at the front what happened.

Then they took her to a room, making me wait in the lobby.

I texted the address to the others… 

After about fifteen minutes the doctor came to me. "You're with Kotori-san, correct?" 

"That's right." I said, "Is everything okay?"

"Everything will be okay." He emphasized the will.

"So what happened?" 

"Well, she fractured her ankle." He said, "And I understand that she's one of the top school idols right now correct?"

I nodded, "Then unfortunately, she won't be able to compete any longer."

That got my ears up. "She can't- so you're saying…" 

"I'm afraid Kotori can't make it in time for the next round." He said sadly, "Which I understand is the finals?"

"Assuming we pass… yes." I blinked in disbelief.

A freak accident would be the downfall of Muse.

"Her fracture isn't a minor one." He continued, "It swelled up extremely fast and I'm afraid she may be on crutches for a month then the boot for about two months. By then her foot will need to be exercised again and there's not enough time for her to perform again."

"Can I go see her?" I asked, not wanting to hear anymore.

"Yes, she's in room two-hundred and two."

I walked up the stairs and entered the room. She was lying on a bed with her leg raised.

"Takashi?" She said her voice a little shaky. 

"Does hurt that much still?"

"N-no… Takashi…" she threw her head in her arms. "I failed Muse…" she whispered.

"No you didn't." I walked over and comforted her, "They'll still perform for you."

"B-b-but I messed up again!" She cried into her arms.

"No, it was an accident that couldn't have been prevented." I assured her.

"How are they going to perform as a group of eight?" She asked.

"They'll find a way, they always have, and they always will." I calmed her down.

We sat there a few moments, Kotori continuing to blame herself.

My phone buzzed, it was Honoka.

"They passed the qualifiers." I announced, hoping to bring some joy to the crying Kotori, "They're on their way now."

Unfortunately, Kotori didn't seem any more happy that they've moved on.

"If I just didn't fall…" she muttered to herself.

"Are you going to keep blaming yourself thinking that it's going to fix something?" I said starting to feel annoyed at her.

"But it's my fault that they have to figure out a new routine!" She spoke in the same tone as me.

"What if I did tell you it's your fault?!" 

"I know it's my fault already!'

"It was an accident, Kotori!"

"An accident I could've prevented!"

"So are you going to go back in time and prevent this?!"

"I'm going to do as I please!" She yelled angrily.

"You know what? If you truly believe you're a burden to the group then maybe you are!"

"I'm trying my best! Can't you see?!"

"So why are you blaming yourself?!"

"Cause this is my fault!"

"Fine! Go ahead and mope about something that's already happened! You can't change the fact that you're injured and can't perform so deal with it!" I yelled back.

"And how do you expect me to deal with this stupid?!"

"Figure it out! I'm leaving!"

"Good!"

To my dismay the others were standing at the doorway as I opened the door.

I pushed past them and walked back downstairs to the lobby.

I needed some time to cool off…

Honoka's POV

I'd never heard Kotori that angry before.

The eight of us looked in shock at the shouting match that was occurring in the room.

"Who's winning?" Nozomi whispered.

"Takashi… but Kotori-chan is making it close." Maki whispered back.

"Takashi for once is making logical points…" Hanayo joined in.

"It's Kotori's second nature to blame herself though." Umi added.

"Figure it out! I'm leaving!"

"Good!"

The door opened… we stood there quietly not wanting to make eye contact with Takashi.

As he walked away we were cautious to walk into the room. 

"Should we make sure he's not punching a wall right now?" Eli asked.

"He'll be fine…" Nico replied, "It's Kotori we have to be worried about."

"K-k-kotori-chan?" I hesitated as I patted her head.

"H-Honoka?" She looked up in surprise. "You guys?"

"Um… we were actually about to come in a few minutes earlier but…"

"You know Kotori, he's right for once." Umi said. "You need to realize it's not your fault."

"I hate that he's right." She sighed, "But in the end I can't help but feel sorry for you guys and myself. We worked so hard to get here and now I'm making things harder for you." She said sadly.

"Which is why we're going to win." I answered.

"Also arguing with your boyfriend is not healthy." Nozomi grinned.

"I-I have no clue what you're talking about." She hid her face in her arms. "Should I apologize to him?"

"Nah… he'll get over it." Maki smiled, "He just cares about you, that's all."

"I say we got off of this subject." She said blushing, "So do we know where the finals are?"

"As a matter of fact, we do." Eli nodded at me.

"It's in two months… at the Tokyo Dome."

Two months that we needed to really focus on.

I just spent back to back days at the zoo taking kids there... I need a break.

Anyways here's another chapter! I don't know how many I'll be writing because I don't know how this book will end...

Be safe! Mask up! Don't be stupid!

-Kazuya