After

Walking along I check on the men offering words of praise and gratitude along with a pat on the back. A young man with a red cross band wrapped around his bicep meets me by the 'hospital' entrance "Captain Stanhope sir." I smile tightly

"Osborne?" 

"Patched him up best we could then sent him up the line to a proper 'ospital sir."

"Thank you."

"Of course sir."

Clicking his heels together he ducks back into the 'hospital'. Just as I go to leave Raleigh walks out face clean of mud and a bandage peeking out from under his collar. "Got got by a bullet, strung like hell but it'll be my first battle scar." I smile slightly examining his face "You feelin' all right?" he nods
"Just a bit o' ringin' in my ears." I smile
"It'll pass."

He nods and we walk side by side to the dug out. the colonel is seated at the table a collection off papers in a hand and a large smile on his face "Splendid, Stanhope! We've got all we wanted, 20th Wurtemburgers! his regiment came into the line last night. i must go right away and phone the Brigadier. he'll be very pleased about it. it's a feather I our cap Stanhope." I nod slightly turning to make sure Raleigh is alright.

We walk over to the table the colonel bustling over to the door before turning around "Oh, what about the raiding party, are they all safely back?" I stare at him blankly sitting down heavily "Did you expect them to be ask safely back?" he flushes spluttering "Oh-err-what." I frown leaning back against the dirt wall "Four men and Raleigh came safely back, Sir. Osbourne has been sent up for medical care."

The colonel looks shocked to say the least "Oh, i say, I'm sorry! that's-err- six men?" i nod stiffly "yes, sir." huge shakes his head "I'm very sorry. do you know what happened to them?" I shrug "machine gun bullets I suppose."

He remains silent a moment before turning to Raleigh smiling changing the subject entirely "Very well done Raleigh. well done,my boy. I'll get you a military cross for this. have a good rest.i must be of. very well done." he bustles up the dug out steps and Raleigh collapses sides ways leaning his head on my shoulder "Will Osbourne be all right?" I reach for his hand gripping it tightly "He's a tough old buggar, I'm sure he'll pull through." he nods slightly.

"Sleep I'll wake you for dinner." he nods clambering clumsily to his feet. i pull him back down "Sleep here." i shift sideways so he can lay down putting his head in my lap. "Sleep Jimmy, I'll be right here." his eyes flutter shut and his breathing evens out exhaustion taking over.