Girls' (and Boys') Day Out

"Alright, you've had food, and we're getting our pedicures started. Tell me what happened these past few days!" Precious says, relaxing on the massage chair.

Everything spills out rapidly. From Dr. Tory to the letters, from telling Erica and the others, to the Elders' visit, and told her about Aaron. By the time I finished, I was more surprised at how much can happen in a few days than relaxed. She intensely listened the entire time I thoroughly explained the last few events. 

She tears up a bit and brings her body close to mine to pull me in for a hug. I hear her sniffles as she takes a moment to calm down.

"Miranda, I can't even imagine all the things you're going through right now. I have many cheerful things to say, but right now, I want you to know I'm here for you. Wyatt too. We're here for you."

She shifts back into her chair, and we sit in silence for a while.

"I'm glad your sisters approve." She blurts. I nod my head, not wanting to come out of the relaxed state I'm in. She jolts up in seconds and looks at me with wide eyes.

"Your immune?!" she shouts. I giggle a bit as she sits back down once again.

"Yes, I am. I don't know why, or how, but I am." 

"Wow... Ethan really won the lottery, huh?" She smiles. 

"We both did," I answer. Her smile grows as the manicurists come in to do our nails. We sigh in content as they drop our hands in warm water. We talk about random things, our favourite colours, our favourite seasons, anything and everything. 

A phone ringing disrupts my calming deep-tissue massage. 

"It's yours," Precious says as she lazily hands me the phone. The ringing disturbed her nap. 

"Hello?" I ask, not checking the caller ID.

"Is that how you speak to your aunt?" I nearly jumped at the voice.

"Aunty Grace!" I shout, causing Precious to fall off the table. Quickly regaining her posture, she gives me a curious look.

"That's more like it! Now, tell me it isn't true. Tell me my 13-year-old niece doesn't have a mate."

My mother has two sisters, Aunty Grace and Aunty Praise. Aunty Praise hasn't been in contact for years, just like my father, except she always sends birthday and Christmas cards. Aunty Grace and I talk once a week and tell each other everything. We talk for a few minutes before she needs to go.

"How's Grace?" Precious asks sincerely, but I don't have time to answer before she falls asleep again. I silently laugh and play some quiet music before I drift into sleep as well.

************

Ethan's POV

"DON'T GO IN THE CAVE!" my dad shouts.
We've been playing a few video games for a few hours after playing catch with a baseball and watching a basketball game. The next words that popped up on the screen made my dad throw his controller on the couch.

 The next words that popped up on the screen made my dad throw his controller on the couch

"Stupid Game." He mutters.

"It's 6 o'clock already? Where are our mates?" My dad says as he checks his phone while unplugging my PS5. 

On queue, my mom bursts through the door with a new hairstyle and white finger and toenails. Miranda walks in seconds later. She looks beautiful, with her curly hair in a bun and her outfit that she wasn't wearing when she left. I feel a sharp pain on my side before my mom says,

"Pick your jaw up off the floor and stop drooling on the carpet."

My dad plants a kiss on my mom's hand and their eyes glossy over to a greyish colour before my mom giggles and they get caught up in their own world. Miranda walks over to me and gives me a hug before whispering,

"I missed you. It's our first time since we've been mates we stayed away from each other for so long."

"I missed you too," I reply, and I mean it. I missed her quirkiness and her laugh. I missed her smile and her cooking. Especially her cooking. My dad almost burnt down the house preparing lunch! 

Altogether, both pairs of mates separate from each other and start talking about what we did all day. 

"Miranda and I went for mani-pedi's, massages, facial treatments, hairstylists and went shopping!" My mother says, pulling Miranda closer to her by the shoulders.

"Well, Ethan and I played baseball, played videos games and watched a basketball game!" my dad says, pulling me closer to him by my shoulders. 

They kept going back and forth on who had the most eventful day, and Miranda and I were suffering the most! Finally, with a little help from us, they decided that the day was overall eventful. 

"Since our nails aren't completely dry, and I learned Miranda's been doing most, if not all, of the cooking," she gives me a pointed glare.

"You two are going to make dinner!"

Miranda laughs loudly and dramatically while bringing her bags upstairs. I can still hear her laughing from her bedroom. My mom joins in, laughing, and begs us not to burn the house down. My dad rolls his eyes and we head to the kitchen. 

*****

This is possibly the worst idea my mom has ever had! How are we supposed to cook dinner? All I know how to do is use a knife! 

"Son! How long does pasta boil for?" My dad asks me worriedly. 

"I think until it's soft." I answer over the fire alarm. 

"How do I know it's soft?!" He runs his hand through his hair.

"By tasting it, Wyatt." My mom says, turning off the fire alarm and stirring the pasta sauce my dad forgot about. She brings a piece of pasta out and tastes it.
Miranda pops in the kitchen and looks around, then shakes her head while smiling before helping my mom stir the pasta sauce and adding different spices to it. Miranda shoos us out of the kitchen, saying something about how clueless and dependant we are.

Ten minutes later, they bring pasta and the sauce, fruits and plates to the dining table.

"Sweetheart, we left a bit of a mess in there." My dad says guiltily.

"I know darling, Miranda already cleaned up."

I glance at while Miranda laughs to herself as my dad apologises. She sits beside me and whispers,

"Ethan, learn how to cook. I will not prepare food for you for the rest of my life."
My parents' voices intercept with my reply. We all sit and eat the almost disastrous dinner. I have to admit, despite my dad and I nearly burning everything, my mom and Miranda did a great job reviving it.

"Since you two couldn't cook, you're both cleaning and washing dishes." 

We get up and head to the kitchen, only to find pots and pans stacked up against each other in the sink. We sigh, knowing they did this on purpose. 
"Dont just stand there, clean!" my mother yells. 

Half an hour later, I drag myself upstairs to my room. 
"Were the dishes that bad?" Miranda asks.
"Yes, they were."
She goes back to reading on her phone while I change into shorts and climb into bed. 

"What are you reading?" I ask her.

"A Webtoon called Unholy Blood."

I nod, feeling extremely tired. Miranda turns off the light and climbs in bed. She turns around, her back facing me, and drifts off into sleep. No sooner do I feel my eyelids getting heavy and match her steady breathing.