What the hell was I even talking about?

He wasn't convinced. I knew he wouldn't be, but at least he seemed to let it go for now.

The day dragged on, but eventually, that fated bell rang and I nearly leaped from my seat. JJ, Pope, Kie, and I left the classroom and got out of school for the day.

"First few weeks go okay?" Pope asked, coming up from behind me and squeezing my shoulders.

"I'm a learning girl now," I said, working a smile onto my face no more convincing than any other I'd produced since shit hit the fan.

We walked out to the courtyard where other kids were already scattered as school was let out. We walked out to Kie's car and managed to get everyone piled in in a somewhat orderly fashion.

Kie and Pope took the front while JJ and I jumped into the back, him slinging his arm around me and pulling me into him.

At that, I found a genuine smile forming on my face. I looked up at him and playfully slapped his cheek twice with my left hand, playing with the hem of his shirt sleeve.

As Kie started the car, I leaned forward and connected my phone to the aux cord. I scrolled through my music until I found the song that I was looking for: "I'll Be Around" by The Growlers.

I turned it up and we all took off, singing along to one of the songs I'd been playing for weeks. I staked my claim as the car DJ and now everyone was melding into my music taste, pleasing me immensely.

We hadn't even pulled out of the school's parking lot yet before Kie stopped the car short. Everyone's head jerked forward as she slammed on the brakes, and I looked for the reason why. I found one eventually when someone hit the hood of Kie's car a couple of times, scolding us.

At the front of the car, inches away from being hit was a short girl with dark brown hair and a pointed glare.

"Oh, shit," Kie muttered. The girl peered into the car through the front windshield, squinting to see us better.

"Kiara? Pope?" She said, and I looked up at JJ, not sure if she just knew them from around school or really knew them. Her tone made it seem like they knew each other well enough, though.

"Smile and wave, P," Kie muttered, trying not to let the girl read her lips as they both waved politely.

"I thought she moved to Maine?" Pope asked Kie, and I looked up at JJ upon hearing those words. He was stone-faced and unmoving, and my concerns were completely confirmed then.

She came around the side of the car and knocked on Kie's window, motioning for her to roll it down, and she did.

"Trying to kill me?" The girl asked with humor on her face.

"Riley... you're back," Kie said, and the girl smiled widely.

Riley.

Of course.

Who else?

"I thought we were all moving to Maine, but it turns out my parents were divorcing and my dad was just getting his time with me in. I'm back here living with my mom now," She said, Pope nodded, not particularly interested.

She shifted her glance from Kie and Pope to the back of the car where JJ and I sat, and immediately her face fell. "JJ," She said curtly, looking at me next.

"And..." She trailed off, clearly wanting me to say my name.

"Stevie, she's a friend of ours," Pope quickly said, coming to my rescue at the perfect time. I had no idea how I would've introduced myself to her. I had no time to think about it. I gave her a polite little wave which she did not return, and I suddenly found myself wishing I had done nothing.