3.Omichli Mountain

Start from the beginning

Nate had wisely turned on the headlights, as the road was veiled in thick fog, posing a potential accident risk if not navigated carefully. The road itself was narrow and nerve-wracking.

Yet, amidst the apprehension, I felt grateful that Nate was a skilled driver, ensuring our safety on this treacherous journey. My gratitude was slightly tainted by the sight of his hand still on Ash's skirt. I wished he would focus solely on the road.

As we continued, a sign on the road welcomed us to Omichli Mountains – Ash's hometown. The name intrigued me, and I had previously searched for information about the place on Google. Surprisingly, there wasn't much available, only that it was a rural area with a population of fewer than a thousand. The whole area was enveloped by the forest and mountains – the Omichli mountain.

The name "Omichli" was derived from Greek, meaning fog. And now, seeing the mountains blanketed in fog, it all made sense. This place truly lived up to its name.

Despite the initial trepidation, I couldn't deny the beauty of Omichli Mountains. The fog added an enchanting allure to the surroundings, making it feel like we had stepped into a mystical realm.

The road led us down the mountain, and as we descended, a valley-like area came into view, with the outlines of houses becoming visible. We passed by several houses until the sides of the road were once again engulfed in dense trees, signifying that we were approaching Ash's parents' house, away from the main town.

Finally, it came into sight – the biggest house in the town, a magnificent three-story structure entirely built from wood. Ash had told me that her family was the wealthiest in the area, and her father held a prominent position as a leader.

"Here we are. Welcome to my home, babe," Ash said, glancing at me through the rearview mirror. Nate parked the car and got out to retrieve our luggage from the trunk.

I peeked out of the window, only to retreat slightly. The place was bustling with people, all busy making preparations for tomorrow's event – the engagement ceremony.

Turning my attention back to myself, I assessed my reflection in the mirror. My brown hair was frizzy from the mountain air, and I ran my fingertips through it to tame the unruliness. My olive skin looked dull and lackluster, and my lips appeared slightly chapped. The hours of motion sickness during the mountain drive had left me feeling malnourished and dehydrated.

I cursed Ash silently. She had insisted on taking my jeans and tops from me while we were getting ready in the morning. Instead, she handed me this navy polka maxi dress. It was a halter neck, which now made me conscious about my bare arms, but at least it reached below my knees, providing some comfort. I was grateful for the white sneakers I wore with it, as they offered a bit of respite from the unfamiliar dress.

I tried to smooth out the unnecessary creases from the dress using the palm of my hands, attempting to appear presentable. Gathering my courage, I finally stepped out of the car, where Ash was already waiting for me, excited to show me around her home.

She led me towards the front door, and as we approached, I noticed a flurry of activity. Several people, mostly men, were carrying wooden frames and decorative materials to the backside of the house. Many of them glanced curiously in my direction, some even sniffing with a hint of suspicion. I asked Ash about this, but she skillfully dodged my question, not providing a valid explanation. However, I wasn't one to give up easily. When people denied giving me answers, I liked to find them on my own.

As we entered the house, I realized that Nate was nowhere to be found, having disappeared with our luggage. Ash held my hand tightly as we made our way through the foyer and into a large living room. Inside, two men and two women were engrossed in conversation on the sofas. It was as if they somehow sensed our arrival, as they abruptly stopped talking and turned their attention towards us.