Chapter 87 Elections and Realisations

‘Did I ever tell you how we first met?’

Hadrian shook his head, ‘no, I know talking about Dad hurts you I didn’t want to push.’

‘Hadrian, you deserve to know about your Dad,’ his father said softly. ‘I would never deny you answers.’

‘I know,’ Hadrian said. ‘But I don’t want to hurt you, either.’

Tom smiled at his son and his unfailing kindness despite all that he had suffered through. Where in the name of magic had he got that from? Merlin knew that it wasn’t him and his Dad had absolutely no tact in well anything. He deserved so much better than what he had been given – Tom should have protected him, should have realised, he was such a fool.

Tom chuckled, ‘it’s not really a long story. I had called a meeting of my most trusted followers. We were planning to target the Ministry itself. I was just about to start the meeting when your Dad tore off his Invisibility Cloak – he had followed his second cousin to our meeting. Naturally, a lot of my followers were paranoid and furious. Here was the son of Charlus Potter – a known Light wizard and supporter of Dumbledore having snuck in.’

Tom had been furious too thinking that he had been betrayed. That Dumbledore and the Aurors would be hot on their trail. Naturally, he knew he would get out of there but how many of his followers would he lose between that time.

‘Yet, your Dad who was only sixteen stood there bold as brass without any fear in his eyes as he looked into my eyes.’ Tom snorted. ‘Stupid, brave, fool.’

‘He was a true Gryffindor, then?’ Hadrian asked.

‘Merlin, yes,’ Tom admitted with a chuckle. ‘It drove me insane sometimes. I admired his candour and bravery, but I worried all the time that he was going to do something that would get him killed!’

‘And it did,’ Hadrian said softly.

‘Yes,’ Tom said.

He closed his eyes trying not to remember Hadrian’s memory of James coming to himself after months of being controlled. James’ last moments which were of loyalty and love to him and Hadrian. If only he had looked harder at the situation. He should have saved them! Instead, he had been tricked and left James to be murdered and Hadrian to be hurt!

Hadrian looked very sad, ‘so why didn’t you kill him?’