The World [is Cold, Hard, Unfair, and Cruel]

□Mara□

I almost ran out of the Batcave, to get away from my father as quick as possible. I didn't really know where to go for some reason, so I just ran up the stairs, headed for my room. I didn't let a single tear escape my eyes as I did, not wanting to let my unsuccessful try at catching my killer go to waste with tears of pity.

I make my way upstairs with my best try at elegance, then throw that out the window as I tripped into the elevator as my foot got caught in the tiny ass space between the elevator and the floor.

I fell flat onto my face, my hands flailing to grab the railing nearby, with the doors closing behind me. I'm glad the elevator to the Manor isn't visible from the rest of the cave.

Cursing as I stood, I rubbed my chin as, pulling back my hand to reveal blood.

"Shit," I mutter, rolling my eyes at my clumsiness. I'm suddenly so fucking fed up with myself, that I want to scream.

My throat becomes dry, my jaw clenches, and the only thing that keeps me from punching the metal elevator bars is my head.

The logical part of my head anyways. The illogical- or the more creative part - of my brain is screaming at me to go back down there.

To go scream my lungs out at my father, to lash out, something. To go back down there and tell him I didn't die, that I'm standing right in front of him, alive and well.

To explain to him that he should've been able to stop my killer from six feet away. That's just above his own height length away. How could he have not caught him?

And if he still doesn't listen to me -- then I'll go back out there, and draw the clownman out. To take a fucking knife from the kitchen and kill him myse-

NO.
Close the door. Bolt it. Now.

Dear God, if I can't get my own shit together, how the fuck did I think I could actually pull this off exactly?

In my right mind, how did I think I could pull this off?

I dont know.

A light, springy sound brings me out of my thoughts, and I focus my eyes to the opened elevator door. I step out, breathing in the fresh air of the Manor.

Well, more like polished and squeaky clean air if the Manor, probably thanks to Alfred.

Either way, it felt extremely good to do so -- to be free of the stuffy air. It's like when you catch a cold, and your stuck at home, until you get better.

Then, once you do get better, you get to go back to school. On the day of a field trip, may I add, and you get to school at eight in the morning, sharp. And then the smell of the dewy grass, the morning fog, and the subtle quietness of the school takes over your senses.

That's what it feels like to be out of the Cave, and into the Manor, let alone my room. My room -- well I've missed it. Badly. Sleeping on the hospital cot that's caked with dried blood isn't my personal favorite place to sleep.

I just stare around me, taking in the room. It's almost calming, in a sense that the only thing I have to worry about is close to nothing. But I know that's not true, and my anger flares once again, being blown on by an imaginary wind.

I roll my eyes, exuding my irritation, and find myself walking quickly to the main entrance, near the marble stairs. I'm not aware of my surroundings as I walk up them, but I do as I reach a step.

My body lurches forward, after my feet stopped abruptly, landing on my hands. Hunched on all fours on the stairs, my breath becomes short, like I'm holding it in, and my eyes shut. I don't understand what the fuck is going on, and my shoulders tense up, my muscles on fire.