The Brothers

□Tim□

I hear the door open from the living room, and I stand up almost immediately, my anxiety spiking. The steps get closer and closer, and Dick looks at me. We both know who it is, and we're just wanting to talk. About everything. From the Jason to Dad to the Cave. All of it. I just want her to understand that we lied to her to keep her safer, from the Joker who killed Jason, as well as from who we've become. The murderers and people we've changed into.

Okay, I literally need to say that and clear it off my chest because that was perfect. It sums up what both me and Dick want to say to her. And perfect timing too, because she walks in, arms at her sides, looking stoic.

"I will leave you to yourselves now, and if you need anything I'll be in the kitchen," Alfred states, quickly dismissing himself from the room.

And then there were three.
Here we go, no time to waste.

I take a breath and just start.

"Listen Mara I'm speaking for both Dick and I when I say that the reason we lied to you- from Jason to Dad to the Cave to the late nights- was because we wanted to keep you safe. The Joker killed Jason, and we didn't want to tell you about any of it because we didn't want that to happen to you-"

"And because we wanted to keep you from what we've become, from the people we've changed into. We're supposed to be your brothers, and we still are, but now it's different. Now, that you know, you're never going to look at us the same, and we know that." Dick stands next to me and explains more.

I nod and look back at my sister. She stays quiet but keeps eye contact with us, peering back and forth for a couple of seconds. And then she speaks, and I brace myself for her to yell at us more.

"I know that." It's quiet and small, and barely makes it to us. I almost ask her to repeat it, but she goes on. "I know what you mean, and I understand that, I guess. I mean not entirely, and yeah I'm still pissed, but it does make sense why you kept it from me. What I don't get is...well, why any of you started this whole 'vigilante' thing when you knew what you'd become?"

Boom.
Holy shit she's damn good.

Dick and I stay silent, thinking. Mara waits for us patiently when she sits down on the chair behind her.

"And where's Damian?"

"Oh, uh, well, he's upstairs as usual..." Dick trails off, so I finish it for him.

"Probably sulking or brooding. I mean, when is he not?" I try to crack a joke, but it doesn't play out well. No one laughs, so I just sorta look down. The silence is back. It's probably the most unnerving thing that you'll ever hear, because there's absolutely nothing you can do.

The ringing in your ears eats away at your body, bones, and nerves until your nothing but a hollow thing laying on the ground.

"Well, I'll talk to him later then..." Mara's voice sounds distant from me as Dick sits down again, from out of my peripheral. I sigh, copying him.

"You want us to answer the question don't you." Dick states dryly, staring at her. Her jaw tightens but her eyes soften.

"Well I asked it didn't I?" Sarcasm drips from her monotone voice.