𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐌𝐀𝐍

° SIX YEARS LATER °

The woman was now twenty seven years old. Her child, whom she held as near and dear as possible to her, was now ten years old. The woman still gets her money through drugs.

She is a part of the bigger drug companies in Gotham. Her daughter has no idea what her mother does during the day, as she goes to school. Public school for that matter, which was both a blessing and a curse. Yes, there were boarding schools, but those were too expensive.

the black raven | THE DEATH KISSED MAN

jessie •

The most important thing I was doing at the moment was taking in the sweet smelling dust that happened to get me higher than the sky. I was not picking Mara up from school. No, she can walk. She'll be fine.

Plus, my 'broke down' car is too 'embarrassing' for her to ride in. She just doesn't know what's good for her. She doesn't understand what I've been through to get to the place we're in.

She doesn't know just how hard it was to get everything we have, her education included.

She should know. She shouldn't know, actually. She should understand. And if she doesn't, then that's up to me to force her to understand.

"Jessie! Open up!" A voice shouts, and I sigh, not wanting to be disrupted at the moment.

It's my 'me' time. My relaxation time. But people just want to ruin my life. Mara included, at some points.

"What?" I snap at Luciano, as soon as I see his cocky, lopsided smile aimed for me.

"I need the rest of the files. You forgot them. They're from Monday and Saturday," he tells me, stepping inside my residence without asking. I rest my hands on my hips.

"No."

"Yes."

"No," my second answer against him makes him turn around. I see his nostrils flare as he sighs in irritation.

"Look, Jess, I know it's hard and all with Mara being older, but you need to keep up. With all the orders, not just mine. Get the orders present again and we won't have a problem. And soon, I suppose, or else I might just accidentally slip out that you have this beautiful home," Luciano's voice is completely serious.