"I've been doing much better, thank you for asking. I've come to inform you I will be taking a walk. I also wanted to ask if there was anything you might need from the grocery store?" She folded her hands together and looked up at him. Her manners had returned which meant she was out of her funk enough.

"Oh, uhm, I don't think I need anything from the store. Do you want me to accompany you on your walk?" He asked quickly, almost praying she said yes. He missed her and he missed how much her virtues infuriated him.

"It's quite alright, I wouldn't want to disturb such a busy man as yourself." She declined with a polite smile on her face.

"It wouldn't be a bother--"

"It's okay, really." She smiled as she cut him off. He closed his mouth and nodded stiffly.

He mentally cursed himself, of course, she would still want some space. Although, he didn't like that he was the one to bring her salvation and yet here she was avoiding him. The space made sense but it still hurt. After all he had done for her, she was seemingly giving up on him. He couldn't let that happen, not after all he had done to get her to be with him. Should he hold her closer to him or allow her this space? What should he do? An idea popped into his head.

"Kate, I... I love you." He called after her. She froze. He... Loved her?

This manipulative idea came from an area of truth. He loved her, yes, of course, whether or not he was ready to admit it was another story. He was pretty sure he didn't love her the way that she thought he did. If he did, he was under the influence that it wasn't as much as she had hoped for.

He had used a dirty tactic to keep her drunk on him but he felt he needed to do it. He knew abusers did it all the time but he was different from them. He had her best interests at heart so it wasn't toxic, it was something positive, yes. Besides, how could it be harmful if he wasn't deceiving her? Not to mention he had never touched her, therefore he couldn't be an abuser. No, he liberated her from her abusers so he could never become one himself.

Kate had never heard those words before in her life. She had seen it in entertainment and read about it in literature but she had never experienced it herself. Someone could love her? Someone could truly care for her? It had previously seemed too good to be true, and now here she was with her saviour who told her he loved her. Although she had no good idea of what it meant, she knew his words to be true. She knew that because she loved him too.

"I... I hope I can be worthy of those words." Was all she managed to get out before excusing herself.

Fyodor was in shock. What made her believe she was unworthy of hearing 'i love you'? She didn't say it back which obviously stung but what hurt him most was that she didn't think she was worthy of love. Who in their right mind wouldn't love this woman? She was stronger than she believed herself to be, she was immensely smart and clever, her words always were careful and never simple. He admired her so much more than he could ever be able to tell her. She was so doubtful of herself for no comprehendible reason. Fyodor disliked this aspect of her personality very much.

Kate left the house, her mind swirling more than usual. She would have to put that behind her though, she had a very important call to make. Since she didn't know if she was being followed, she would have to use code words for everything.

"Hello, uncle." She spoke into the phone as Whitman picked up. Her English was a bit slow after not using it for so long.

"Katherine, I assume your location is not familiar to me?" He inquired, knowing right away to use code.

"No, I left America already. I'm terribly sorry I didn't visit." She answered.

"You'll have to tell me over the phone then, how was the book I lent you? Did you find it fascinating?" He asked.

"I'm sorry to say not all that much. It wasn't as interesting as you made it out to be. However, perhaps it could become better over time. I'll have to let you know about the next book you send me." She sat down on a park bench as she spoke.

"Tell me about the progress of the main character though, did he get closer to his goal?" Whitman asked another question.

"I... I couldn't tell, I don't think I ever got to that part of the book. If you want I can go back and read closer." She offered.

"Yes, do that. Let me know how that goes. I've got to return to the office so I'm going to let you go now. Goodbye, my doll." He quickly hung up. Kate placed her phone in her lap and sighed, covering her face with her hand.

She didn't want to deceive Fyodor, he was different from all of her other missions. He actually felt nothing like a mission at all. She liked how they simply lived together and he never expected anything of her. Everyone else always expected her to do things for them or to act a certain way; Fyodor didn't. The reason Fyodor didn't was that he knew better than anyone that man was flawed. He knew that expectations lead to disappointment, so he tried to stay away from them.

Kate suddenly remembered what had happened before she left. Fyodor had told her he loved her and she brushed him off. What if she invalidated his feelings? Did she do that to him? The thought of possibly hurting him made her body ache. She never wanted to hurt him, even if it was an accident. She had to return and tell him that she loved him too. But... She had one more phone call to make before then.

"Mister Fitzgerald, I've been wondering when you should want me to return to you." She spoke straight to the point, not wanting to waste time before she could return to Fyodor and tell him she loved him too.

"Kate, didn't you hear? You're supposed to be staying with him until next year. How odd, I would've thought he had told you or even arranged it with you." He answered, revealing the truth that Fyodor wished to keep hidden from her.

"I'm afraid I don't understand." She shook her head as she furrowed her brows. What exactly did Fitzgerald mean by his words?

"It was actually in the contract you had written up with him that outlined the terms of our alliance. It stated you are to stay with Fyodor for the next year. I'm not sure if that means you'll be working for him but that's what it said. You're his for the time being." Fitzgerald's words made her blood run cold.

Fyodor was wrong, she always would be someone's doll. She thought he liberated her but in reality, he had only done that so he could have her to himself. She knew all of his words were lies. He had set her up and she fell into his traps blindly. She had been betrayed by one of the world's most wanted ability user terrorists and she had been blind to it the whole time. She understood why Orwell had warned her to be extra cautious-- Fyodor could trap you without you ever knowing. Kate finally knew what it meant to see red.